Tags
details.
1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  E-A-G-L-E-S 
#1 ·
So I have the big three components now:
EP2500
eD eQ.2
Tempest-X

I am building a 24" cube sealed so that I can run REW to help me design a proper vented enclosure.

My questions are:
1. What order do these connect from my AVR(Yamaha RX-V661) and what do I use to connect each piece?
2. Do bidning plates and posts offer any benefit over wire terminals?(classic clamp)
3. Do Ineed to do any mods to my EP2500, besides the fan swap?(filters, etc.?)
4. Do Ionly need an spl meter to use the REW program?

#2 ·
Totally unfamilar with your equipment but I will give you an opinion

1. My guess is AVR-->EQ--->Amp
2. My personal preference is the smallest cheapest hardware that does the job. I don't understand why people spend so much time building nice box then cut a huge hole in it for some uneeded hardware.

#4 ·
My questions are:
1. What order do these connect from my AVR(Yamaha RX-V661) and what do I use to connect each piece?
AVR -> EQ -> Amp -> Sub
The AVR -> EQ leg will probably be RCA on both ends, but I'm not sure what connectors you have on the EQ. You may need an adapter. The LFE output on your AVR is what will feed the signal to the EQ.
The EQ -> Amp leg will require 1/4" TRS or XLR on the Amp side, as I recall. Again, I don't know what connectors you have on the EQ box.
Amp -> Sub leg will be speaker wire.
2. Do bidning plates and posts offer any benefit over wire terminals?(classic clamp)
I'm not sure what you mean by wire terminals (classic clamp). If you mean any kind of spring-loaded terminal, or even the ones with the little flip-tab, then I vote no. Binding posts allow a wide range of secure terminal connections. In my personal order of preference, bare wire, solid or tinned stranded wire, fork terminals, banana plugs.
3. Do Ineed to do any mods to my EP2500, besides the fan swap?(filters, etc.?)
If you feel your environment is dusty, then go ahead and add a filter if it makes you feel better, but I suspect it's not that dusty. Taking the lid off once a year and wiping any dust off the heatsink fins with a swiffer or just a paper towel would probably be more than sufficient. The amp is not being used for it's intended purpose in your case. This is a pro amp, designed to run under less than ideal conditions at near maximum output for hours. You're not going to push it very hard driving a HT sub in an air-conditioned room.
4. Do Ionly need an spl meter to use the REW program?
That's a question best answered by the good folks in the REW Forum. I know REW has a great help file, I'd start there.

#6 ·
tenzip...I owe you!
NP, just remember, everything you watch on an HD display is an HD picture. :neener: (For those of you scratching your heads, just ignore.)
On the eQ.2 I have a L&R rca input(red and white) and a mono rca output(2 of them-black).
I suspect if you read the user manual that came with your EQ, you'll find that the left input will be a mono input that will be fed from your AVR's LFE out, and the right will only be used if you have 2 outputs from whatever equipment is feeding it. (In this case, the AVR, you won't.)
TRS??
XLR??
Check out the pictures here. Scroll most of the way down. TRS is just like the TS connector pictured, except it has one more division. Tip-Ring-Sleeve instead of Tip-Sleeve. It sounds like you'll need an adapter from the EQ to the Amp. The one pictured should work, but I'm not 100% sure of that.
As for the EP2500 mods...by filters I meant highpass or lowpass?
That's what REW will tell you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.