DIY Rotary Woofer - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers - General Discussion
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 41800 - Replies: 160  
Old 10-20-08, 04:16 PM   #1
Shackster

icnivad
Since: Sep 2008
I started this thread.
DIY Rotary Woofer

After doing a little research of rotary woofers, they seem pretty cool, but the $+15k price tag seems a little exorbitant. Has anyone tried a DIY version of one of these?

It seems like mounting a stepper motor (or one for each blade) onto a fan or motor and controlling it with a computer should do the trick.

Any thoughts?

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-08, 05:37 PM   #2
Elite Shackster

thxgoon
Since: Feb 2007
Re: DIY rotary woofer

I'm sure you could build something but I imagine most of the research goes into the aerodynamics of the rotor. A dc motor being fed the ac signal or a servo would do the trick I'd think.

Old 10-20-08, 05:57 PM   #3
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Mike
Since: Apr 2007
Chitek Lake, Sask.

There was a start of a diy rotary sub on the diyaudio.com forum a while back. I don't know if it was ever completed.

Old 10-21-08, 08:16 AM   #4
Senior Shackster

Arthur
Since: Jan 2008
Montreal,CANADA

Doing a DIY version (COPY) of the rotary sub is a grand waste of money and time. You have to have connections with people who can custom manufacture a few parts and understand fully all the inns and outs of the design(I am sure many think they do but have little idea).

Waste of time and doomed to fail,unless you are ready to invest serious time and money.

Old 10-21-08, 02:06 PM   #5
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Mike
Chitek Lake, Sask.

Here's a link to one type that was not finished.

http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/servoproject/

Old 10-24-08, 12:36 PM   #6
Shackster

icnivad
Since: Sep 2008
I started this thread.
Re: DIY Rotary Woofer

ok, it looks like they use a voice coil mounted in between the motor and the rotor to control the blade pitch. I think I could make the linkage, fans, and hook up the motor but I don't know about the voice coil as I've never taken one apart. My questions(and possible deal breakers) are:

1. Would a voice coil taken from a large speaker be able to exert the force required to move the blades? This will exert more back pressure on the coil than just a cone and I wouldn't want to design and build everything it just to find that I would need a high powered custom voice coil that would be inhibitavely expensive.

2. In order to mount the voice coil directly in between the motor and the rotor, you would need to run the shaft directly through the center of the coil. Has anyone ever tried to drill a hole through a speaker magnet?

Another option that might be a little easier would be to mount the voice coil on the rotor itself. You'd need a slightly bigger motor since you now have more mass to rotate, an it would probably take longer to turn on, but since the rotor spins at a constant speed, this shouldn't really cause a problem. In fact, it might help even out the rotational speed of the rotor as it would have more mass.

Old 10-24-08, 12:51 PM   #7
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Mike
Chitek Lake, Sask.

I can't help you with any of your questions. If you're interested in this, then you definitely have some research to do.

Old 10-25-08, 12:38 PM   #8
Elite Shackster

thxgoon
Since: Feb 2007

For one thing you are going to need to figure out how to pass the electrical connection from the amp to the spinning voice coil assembly as you obviously can't just use wires. As for the motive force to turn the fan blades I imagine you will have to research and test this though a powerfull enough motor should do the trick and you can always design the linkage assemblies to amplifiy the tourque. As far as drilling through the magnet.. I dont see the need. Why not just connect everything on the 'top' of the motor? You'll also want to make sure that the forces exerted on the linkage assembly is in line with the motion of the motor so you don't cause it to rub and damage itselft. In all this sounds like a pretty complicated project!

Old 10-27-08, 12:23 PM   #9
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Michael
Since: Nov 2006
Chesapeake Virginia

It is a very complicated project. http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forums...1454&start=615

Old 01-10-11, 01:08 AM   #10
Elite Shackster

Steve
Since: Apr 2006

I've decided I will be building one. It's definitely not doomed to fail - I have a firm grasp on the concept and the actual mechanics of it aren't very complicated. The $14k is paying for the R&D and the fact that they developed the idea. More power to them.

Replace the CNC'd aluminum fan housing with MDF and plywood layers, and your diy costs go way down. This will be fun.....and possibly game changing.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers - General Discussion »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »