21 Sicko LLT - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 50 Old 12-05-08, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Banned!
jordan powell

21 Sicko LLT

Did i read somewhere you can't really port this if it comes alive, due to port resonance?

Is a resonable llt obtainable, or too many issues? (not that you would need to port this beast.... Ib or huge sealed.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 12-05-08, 01:21 PM
Kevin

Re: 21 Sicko LLT

It is vaporware at this point because we don't have a manufacture that will make them for anywhere near the cost requirements. Maybe if the economy gets slow enough they will change their minds but right now I'm not going to do a production run of transducers that cost $3K each. They wouldn't sell in enough quantity to justify the investment.

The original plan was to make them with Passive Radiators. Ports become problematic due to the lengths required in the box size we targeted.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #3 of 50 Old 12-05-08, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
jordan powell

What were you targeting? I assume at some point a large enough enclosure would allow a short enough port? But at that point, does the air mass really still act as a suspension and the port fully function?

I think I read a 10" port would suffice? Or at least 12"?
post #4 of 50 Old 12-05-08, 01:52 PM
Kevin

Nope.... do the math. A 21" driver with this kind of stroke designed to work in a 8-10 cubic foot box just doesn't work with ports that tune the enclosure down around 18Hz.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #5 of 50 Old 12-05-08, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
jordan powell

What I meant was if you built say 20-50 cubic feet, what would the problem be? I dont have my modeling software anymore, and Im no expert to begin with, so IDK what math I would do.

If a guy built a 50 cubic foot box, with a 12" port, would it be good, or bad? and why if you dont mind....
post #6 of 50 Old 12-05-08, 01:58 PM
Kevin

Well... there just are not that many people willing to build 20-50 cubic foot boxes. We design the driver parameters around a given box size and application.

Ports are just a bad idea with this kind of driver. You get too much noise from chuffing, too long of lengths, excessive volume requirements, port resonances etc... The PR route solves all those problems and for people willing to spend $2K-$3K on a driver they are not worried about spending a little more on a couple passives.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #7 of 50 Old 12-05-08, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned!
jordan powell

not that this driver needs PRs, ports, or anything.... just seems like it would be fun to have a 12" port tuned to 14Hz.... Oh to crawl inside of that!

What types of things are holding it back? I know 21" is large, and the Xmax is extreme as well, but I guess I don't see why a "normal" high excursion basket wouldn't accomodate... be it the normal spoke basket or a TC sounds type.... what have you, just larger proportionately..
post #8 of 50 Old 12-05-08, 02:39 PM
Kevin

The entire thing requires special tooling. There isn't anything in the design that could use an off-the-shelf part. It represents the bleeding edge of driver development and the cost to tool up all those parts is substantial. We are in an economic downturn so it isn't the type of product I'd consider as practical in the current business environment.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #9 of 50 Old 12-06-08, 02:55 AM
Elite Shackster

thxgoon

Sounds like the perfect SLLT driver

Someday......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #10 of 50 Old 12-06-08, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Banned!
jordan powell

Quote:
thxgoon wrote: View Post
SLLT driver
??