New to DIY, need advice on driver - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-27-16, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
New to DIY, need advice on driver

Hello all,

This is a fairly ambitious project for myself and am requesting advice in choosing a driver for my home theater application (mainly movies, some music). I have not yet purchased anything and so my options are open.

My intention is to stay with a 12" subwoofer in a sealed enclosure (goal is to get decent output at 12hz or so). I could probably get away with 15" (larger box), but would like to keep at 12" if possible.

A friend has suggested I go with RE Audio XXX 12v2 (2ohm, 2,000 RMS). I can actually find the original XXX 12" and the v2 version, both for the same price at approximately $550USD each. If I decided to go with RE Audio should I stick with the original 'made in USA' version?

To power these subwoofers I was planning on using a Cerwin Vega 2800 (1400RMS x 2 subwoofers @ 2ohm). But can upgrade to the Cerwin Vega 5000 (2500RMS x 2 @ 2ohm) if any of your driver suggestions require more oomph.

There are a lot of options out there, my main goal is SQ. I will likely be using the subwoofers at sub-40hz levels as my towers go down to 31hz.

I would like to be able to purchase the drivers for no more than $600USD a piece.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

Edit: Through further searching I came across Stereo Integrity subwoofers. Specifically the HST11 and HST12, I feel as if these may be better suited for my application. The room I am in is fairly large at approximately 4,000 cubic feet (20x25x8). Again, I would be powering two subs in two separate locations (TBD once I have them in the room)

Last edited by Keongman; 06-27-16 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Additional info provided
Keongman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 06-27-16, 06:23 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
 
chrapladm's Avatar
Papi
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Adelaide, SA
Posts: 5,786
Re: New to DIY, need advice on driver

If your goal is 12hz and in a large room I would suggest a large ported subwoofer or 18DS4 sealed. How big of a cabinet can you build?

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
chrapladm is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 06-27-16, 08:03 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer
 
theJman's Avatar
Jim
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 2,898
My System
Re: New to DIY, need advice on driver

Agreed. A single 12" driver in a sealed enclosure is not going to give any usable output at 12Hz.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
theJman is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 06-27-16, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
Re: New to DIY, need advice on driver

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
If your goal is 12hz and in a large room I would suggest a large ported subwoofer or 18DS4 sealed. How big of a cabinet can you build?
Preferably 2 feet cubed (8 cubic feet), at the most 2.5 feet cubed (roughly 15 cubic feet)

Looking at price of the 18DS4, I could definitely do that and one, even two of 11's (both 11's in one box and the 18 in another). I'd prefer everything to be sealed.

Would I be able to get the appropriate frequencies out of an 18DS4 with a sealed box that measures roughly 30"x30"x30"?

Last edited by Keongman; 06-27-16 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Clarify measurements
Keongman is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 06-27-16, 11:48 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
 
chrapladm's Avatar
Papi
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Adelaide, SA
Posts: 5,786
Re: New to DIY, need advice on driver

If you chasing ultra low frequencies just buy as many 18DS4's as you can. Then its a matter of how big of an amp will you have?

If you are used to small subwoofers then the 18DS4 will be a huge upgrade with appropriate amp. If you want to use a Inuke or something to power these subs then build the biggest cabinet you can. Build two cabinets and buy two 18DS4's. Build for a 6cuft internal volume for each cabinet. This will keep the 18 from needing a LOT of power. The bigger the better.(within reason)

If you want something that will give you PLENTY of SPL down low, make a plan to buy four 18DS4's. Build two cabinets with 9-12cuft internal. Then load a pair of 18DS4's in dual opposed configuration. You will need an Inuke 6000 and be done.

Or you can build two large ported cabinets tuned to about 15hz. There are many options and configurations but if you want sealed then you need displacement. SO 18DS4's are the best value. If you have a small 10x10ft room a pair of 11 or 12HST's could work.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
chrapladm is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 06-28-16, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
Re: New to DIY, need advice on driver

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
If you chasing ultra low frequencies just buy as many 18DS4's as you can. Then its a matter of how big of an amp will you have?

If you are used to small subwoofers then the 18DS4 will be a huge upgrade with appropriate amp. If you want to use a Inuke or something to power these subs then build the biggest cabinet you can. Build two cabinets and buy two 18DS4's. Build for a 6cuft internal volume for each cabinet. This will keep the 18 from needing a LOT of power. The bigger the better.(within reason)

If you want something that will give you PLENTY of SPL down low, make a plan to buy four 18DS4's. Build two cabinets with 9-12cuft internal. Then load a pair of 18DS4's in dual opposed configuration. You will need an Inuke 6000 and be done.

Or you can build two large ported cabinets tuned to about 15hz. There are many options and configurations but if you want sealed then you need displacement. SO 18DS4's are the best value. If you have a small 10x10ft room a pair of 11 or 12HST's could work.
18DS4's are the way to go, definitely a lot bigger than I am used to! I originally started out with plans for a single HSU VTF-15H MK2 (even this was large for me).

My plan now is to build two sealed cabinets with an 18DS4 in each.

I think I know the answer to this question but would like to ask it anyway: Between the Inuke EP4000 (1400 Watts/channel @ 4ohm) and the Cerwin Vega 2800 (900 watts/channel @ 4ohm) which do you recommend? (I prefer the look/perceived increase in quality of the Cerwin Vega over the EP4000).

Is there a significant difference in the 'quality' of these two amplifiers? Would the Cerwin Vega somehow pair better with these subs or is it as simple as "more wattage is better" in this case?

I have no plans to get four of these subwoofers, but if I did, I would purchase another amplifier.

The Cerwin Vega CV5000 is 1800 watts/channel @ 4 ohm, a lot more money though, I would rather not spend the money, but seeing as I am saving on the subwoofers, I may be able to.

Thanks again

Last edited by Keongman; 06-28-16 at 09:43 AM.
Keongman is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 06-28-16, 11:02 AM
HTS Senior Moderator
 
chrapladm's Avatar
Papi
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Adelaide, SA
Posts: 5,786
Re: New to DIY, need advice on driver

Buy the biggest amp you can. Buy once. Also the Berry 4000 can do about 1800/2000watts bridged into 4ohms. Not sure on the Vega. If I wanted to buy a CV I would only buy a CV5000.

There are LOTS of options for amps so just buy the most amount of real power you can. An Inuke 6000 or CV5000 would be plenty of power. Behringer 4000 can power a pair of 18's bridged. Just build the cabinets as big as you can. That way you wont need to call on every watt out of the amplifier to be happy.

Do you have auto EQ or any type of DSP? If not buy a MiniDSp also if you dont have anything.

Hope this helps. I feel like I gave you more options instead of an easy answer.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
chrapladm is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 06-28-16, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
Re: New to DIY, need advice on driver

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
Buy the biggest amp you can. Buy once. Also the Berry 4000 can do about 1800/2000watts bridged into 4ohms. Not sure on the Vega. If I wanted to buy a CV I would only buy a CV5000.

There are LOTS of options for amps so just buy the most amount of real power you can. An Inuke 6000 or CV5000 would be plenty of power. Behringer 4000 can power a pair of 18's bridged. Just build the cabinets as big as you can. That way you wont need to call on every watt out of the amplifier to be happy.

Do you have auto EQ or any type of DSP? If not buy a MiniDSp also if you dont have anything.

Hope this helps. I feel like I gave you more options instead of an easy answer.
No problem, I am used to (at this point) going through tonnes of options.

My intention was to purchase an amplifier with a DSP built in, and so if I went with the Inuke 6000, I would be purchasing the Inuke 6000DSP version. The CV5000 seems more than capable of replacing a dedicated DSP, for my purposes.

So, if I went with the Inuke 6000DSP, should I be afraid of applying too much power to these subs? They amp is rated for 3100 (edit: I believe I just read somewhere that 3100 watts was peak not RMS, I therefore feel better) Watts @ 4 ohm per subwoofer, subs are rated for 1200 RMS, 2 Ohm DVC (wired @ 4 ohm). That seems like A LOT more than they're rated for. As long as I keep the amp turned down a bit I should be fine, right?

My main concern with going for either the CV 5000 or the Inuke 6000DSP is ensuring I do not apply TOO MUCH power.

Last edited by Keongman; 06-28-16 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Peak vs RMS
Keongman is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 06-28-16, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
Re: New to DIY, need advice on driver

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
Buy the biggest amp you can. Buy once. Also the Berry 4000 can do about 1800/2000watts bridged into 4ohms. Not sure on the Vega. If I wanted to buy a CV I would only buy a CV5000.

There are LOTS of options for amps so just buy the most amount of real power you can. An Inuke 6000 or CV5000 would be plenty of power. Behringer 4000 can power a pair of 18's bridged. Just build the cabinets as big as you can. That way you wont need to call on every watt out of the amplifier to be happy.

Do you have auto EQ or any type of DSP? If not buy a MiniDSp also if you dont have anything.

Hope this helps. I feel like I gave you more options instead of an easy answer.
I did some more looking around and I have decided I would like to use two Crown XLS 1502's. These will output 1550 RMS Watts bridged @ 4 ohm each.

I feel that 1550 RMS @ 4 ohms is good enough power for each of these subwoofers. It is also cheaper $360 each ($720 total) vs the Cerwin Vega 5000 ($799)
Keongman is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 06-28-16, 08:09 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
 
chrapladm's Avatar
Papi
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Adelaide, SA
Posts: 5,786
Re: New to DIY, need advice on driver

Unless your running sign waves for 5 mins at max amp you will be fine with either amp mentioned. But which ever amp you feel comfortable with. I would prefer to have th XLS2500 or higher from that series of amps , but thats just me.

I have had 1000watt capable amp powering my main speakers that are about 85watts rms. Ten years and never had a problem yet. So decide on the volume for your cabinet and then buy accordingly. SO if you need 1000watts buy a 2000watt amp. The driver will be fine with its conservative 1200watt rating. But since you have the extra headroom in your amp the amp will be loafing along.

As I said just make a plan and buy accordingly. You dont HAVE to have the biggest amp possible. Not having enough power to hit maximum SPL is fine. So an Inuke 6K to a pair of 18DS4's in 4cuft enclosures is a great setup. If you dont want to spend that much build a 6cuft enclosure and just buy an Inuke 3000 or whichever equivalent amp.

Inuke 3000 puts out about 2000watts bridged. The Inuke 6000 does about 2000watts x 2 in stereo. These are also 3rd part tested to actually put this rating out. Not just a bogus claim that a OEM makes.

If you want a pair of amps from Crown thats fine also. I would prefer one bigger amp myself. But maybe you like stacks of amps
Keongman likes this.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
chrapladm is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advice , diy , driver

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome