New Built-In Subs Project - Need input! - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #11 of 24 Old 08-20-16, 05:54 PM
Senior Shackster
Vin Vendel

Re: New Built-In Subs Project - Need input!

Sealed is a easy and safe way to go but if you dare...

Vent length is not accurate just simulation.
Attached Thumbnails
New Built-In Subs Project - Need input!-sdx12-slot-port-cabinet.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 08-24-16, 09:24 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

A slot port is a good way to keep the "cabinet" look and feel. It's a pretty stealthy way to get things done, and I think it will work very well for you here.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #13 of 24 Old 09-02-16, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Nik

Owen, Vin -

Thank you all for your help and thoughts. This trim cabinetry stuff is sooo time consuming for an DIY level craftsman like myself. I'm going to build some vented boxes later this year to play around with options, but for now to keep my sanity in check I just went with some sealed enclosures. I've been working on this every night after work for over 3 weeks now and I still have a ways to go!

post #14 of 24 Old 09-02-16, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Nik

Updated pics...

Demo mostly done here...
Attached Thumbnails
New Built-In Subs Project - Need input!-20160816_065034-2-.jpg  

post #15 of 24 Old 09-02-16, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Nik

Updated Pics...

Left, right and center ruffed in. Bulkheads added to lower cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails
New Built-In Subs Project - Need input!-20160822_082620-1-.jpg  

post #16 of 24 Old 09-02-16, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Nik

Updated Pics...

80% trim work done. Still have final speaker grill frame w/ routered edges to match the rest to make that will go over the L/R speakers. Need to decide on grill cloth or material for subwoofer faux doors. Lot's of little finish work things to do including lots of magnets (lower baseboard trim will be removable, magnets added to subwoofer doors to keep things from vibrating). You'll also notice the trim piece I built to cover the project hole in the ceiling.

What you don't see. I had to reroute all my cabling to the side closet and pull a bunch of new speaker wire (belden 10awg) since the old wire was too short for the new location. Ran new power to the equipment room.

Final equipment list:

Project: Mitsubishi HC5
Screen: 102" Stewart Firehawk G3
Pre: Marantz AV7200MKii (USPS lost the first one in transit, so ordered a new one today)
Mains Amp: 7x B&O Icepower 500asp
Sub Amp: Ashly PE-3000 w/ DSP
Front LCR: B&W CT7.3
Rear and Side: In ceiling Energy Veritas
Subwoofer: 2x CSS SDX12's in 2.0cuft sealed
Seating: HTMarket Southampton Top Grain

Excited for the outcome, but still a lot of work to do!
Attached Thumbnails
New Built-In Subs Project - Need input!-img_20160902_204207.jpg  

post #17 of 24 Old 09-04-16, 06:07 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Good progress since I last checked in! The front left and right look great. The centre isn't TOO far below the others and should sound just fine. Nice clean work so far, can't wait to hear how the subs turn out.

- OJ -

post #18 of 24 Old 09-05-16, 10:12 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

I just finished a sealed 18in project using the Stereo Integrity HST18MKII . Its BEAST but just wanted to add a vote for SI as they are designed to work in smaller sealed enclosures... IMO I would go with 2 of the HST12MKII 12's ....They do play REALLY LOW !!

AVR - MARANTZ 7702 w PANGEA AC14
AMP - EMOTIVA XPA7 w PANGEA AC9
DISPLAY - EPSON 5040 / 120in DIY SCREEN w BEHR SILVER SCREEN
MAINS + SURROUND - DIY w DAYTON PT2C-8 PLANAR MID/HIGHS + DAYTON 9" MIDBASS -
SUBS - (2) DAYTON 15" ULTIMAX
SUB AMP -CROWN XLS2502
BLURAY -SAMSUNG UBD K8500
HTPC - HALO CLARO + EXT CARD w BURSON 5th GEN. DISCREET OPAMPS,
post #19 of 24 Old 09-06-16, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Nik

Quote:
Owen Bartley wrote: View Post
Good progress since I last checked in! The front left and right look great. The centre isn't TOO far below the others and should sound just fine. Nice clean work so far, can't wait to hear how the subs turn out.

Thanks, yeah the center channel positioning is not ideal, but with the close distance of seating to the projector screen, the inclusion of a TV also, and desire to get the speaker integrated into the cabinetry it was the best I could do and crossing my fingers on the final outcome. Dispersion graphs for the ct7.3's make me think I have a better than normal chance of this still sounds good. I did a little geometry to ensure the angle of the center channel directly hits ear level at the seating position.

One option i have would be to turn the L/R upside down to get the tweeter closer to the bottom? Might play with that one day...

Nik
post #20 of 24 Old 09-06-16, 09:45 PM
Shackster
RickC

I can't see if the center channel speaker can be angled up a bit to the listener. It does not have to be square to the cabinet. A laser pointer with a square can help you get the angle.