Apocalypse Now - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 08-11-16, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Apocalypse Now

House Damage from subwoofer anyone?
I want to hear stories of carnage, mayhem, chaos and destruction ie collapsed ceilings, loose floor tiles. I heard about the wondering oven- that is insane.

Before I start my killer build I have to ask, Do I have the self control to keep the volume down or will I shake the house off its foundation. Just spent a few thousand on kitchen tiles and hardwood floors. Wife will freeze me in Carbamate if the ceiling or walls crack. ?

Will a 15" folded horn (15 lb magnet) at 400 watts in a 11x26 room cause any damage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-12-16, 01:56 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System
Re: Apocalypse Now

I'm not really up on horn subs, I know they can be impressive though. In the last week or so, Uniquepattern over at AVS has had his new pair of 24's crack drywall around the house, and shake his projector off the shelf onto his head. So not only structural damage, but personal injury as a result of the bass!

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 6 Old 08-12-16, 10:45 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

I am perfectly capable of causing disturbing amounts of vibration in my kitchen when playing test tones through my 4x12" linear array IB subwoofer. Cabinet doors, microwave mount, dishes, oven, refrigerator, etc... I can also get a fair amount of panel vibration out of the large single-pane window on the back wall of my HT room. However, I usually stop before anything horrible happens.

In the olden days, I had an EV Model 30W in a 32ft^3 box that would produce an impressive amount of structural vibration (rattling windows downstairs on the opposite side of the house), but I got yelled at by my mom before I did anything really dangerous (i.e. funny).

Will a folded horn do damage? I'd bet on "No", mostly because the horn exists to effectively couple the driver to the air, and while you'll get prodigious amounts of compression in the rear chamber what you shouldn't get is a lot of panel vibration. In both of my cases, it was the coupling of the box to the house that gave the potential for damage.

Last edited by DqMcClain; 08-12-16 at 10:59 PM.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-12-16, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I agree with your coupling theory, was thinking the same thing. 4x12" must be nice. I can get a great deal on a JL Audio 12w6 or a pair of 12w3's. The JL tech said the W6 would go lower with more details.

Sale on DS4-18's is tempting but I don't know enough yet to make an educated decision.

http://stereointegrity.com/product/ds4-18-subwoofer/

Which would you choose for low end thump HT?
post #5 of 6 Old 08-13-16, 09:32 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Doc777 wrote: View Post
I agree with your coupling theory, was thinking the same thing. 4x12" must be nice. I can get a great deal on a JL Audio 12w6 or a pair of 12w3's. The JL tech said the W6 would go lower with more details.

Sale on DS4-18's is tempting but I don't know enough yet to make an educated decision.

http://stereointegrity.com/product/ds4-18-subwoofer/

Which would you choose for low end thump HT?
Well, the first question that needs to be answered is your design goal. Do you specifically want a horn-loaded sub because of the qualities of that design, or do you want loud+low and a horn-loaded design is an option you're looking at?

I ask because the drivers that are well-suited to horn-loading are often quite different than ones you might use in a ported box, large sealed box, or open/infinite baffle application. JL makes great drivers, but the 12w3 and 12w6 are designed pretty specifically for automotive applications. A horn-loaded box will often seal the back of the driver in a fairly small box, and use the horn flare to increase sensitivity and flatten response. But if the driver is expecting 2x-3x the air volume on the back side, it may not work as well as you're imagining.

I'm digging around for data on what parameters work well in that environment, but there are others here that probably know vastly more than I do.

And yes... the 4x12" setup is pretty crazy.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-13-16, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I appreciate all your help. At first I wanted to use an 18 inch driver but I saw one destroyed due to the higher pressures in a folded horn. I read 12 inches is the largest you should go.

I have narrowed my selection down to either a tapped horn or a folded horn but still researching to see which one would work out better for a home theater. Size doesn't matter as I am finishing the basement and have plenty of options. My place it right into the wall 7 foot tall by 2 foot deep.
Attached Thumbnails
Apocalypse Now-image_1471143872410.jpg