Riser Builds - Ultimax 15s - LF Advice/Calculations - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 09-12-16, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Riser Builds - Ultimax 15s - LF Advice/Calculations

Hello,

I am fairly new to the home theater scene - see thread here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ce-driver.html - but intend on going "all out"!!

A quick run down of my current set-up:

Yamaha A3060 Receiver
2x Crown XLS 1502 Amplifiers powering one subwoofer each
2x Stereo Integrity DS4-18" subwoofers in custom 4.5 cubic foot sealed boxes (waiting for aluminum feet to be made)
Axiom M80 Towers
Axiom VP180 Center
Axiom QS8 Surrounds
Sony VPL-HW45ES Projector
Silver Ticket 100" 16:9 Screen

I will be adding a riser for my rear seats and will be turning them into two separate subwoofer boxes.

From the research I have done, I have settled on using one Dayton Audio Ultimax 15" subwoofer in each riser box, ported. http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php...-per-coil.html

The riser will be approximately 10" total height and I am estimating a 'naked' internal volume of approximately 14.5 cubic feet PER box.

My question is this, how large (length and diameter) of ports should I use for each box? I am (obviously) going for low frequencies with this set-up. I believe I should be hitting around 15hz but am not positive on that nor about how to design the ports, all help is appreciated!

We have leftover hardwood flooring from the renovations completed upstairs and will be placing that on the surface of the riser, and there will be matte black sides all the way around (the sides will be 3/4" higher than the box so as to accommodate the 3/4" hardwood planks to ensure they are secure and flush - glued down), I will be sure to upload more photos once everything is complete.

Thanks in advance for your help, I have attached some photos of my current set-up as well as a rough excel-sketch of the proposed riser!
Attached Thumbnails
Riser Builds - Ultimax 15s - LF Advice/Calculations-img_20160901_163800.jpg  

Riser Builds - Ultimax 15s - LF Advice/Calculations-img_20160907_232543.jpg  

Riser Builds - Ultimax 15s - LF Advice/Calculations-theater-riser.jpg  

Riser Builds - Ultimax 15s - LF Advice/Calculations-img_20160831_200728.jpg  

Attached Files Theater riser.pdf (31.6 KB) 

Last edited by Keongman; 09-12-16 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-13-16, 10:50 AM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System
Re: Riser Builds - Ultimax 15s - LF Advice/Calculations

Well if I were going to use my riser as a box, I think I would use it in a horn design. Would give you a much better response!
post #3 of 6 Old 09-13-16, 09:36 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Russ

My System

Looks very promising. Can you post WinISD files of the design? It's hard to say how big your port needs to be without modeling it, in general terms it will need to be very large (3 or 4 inch round ports will NOT do) considering a box that big and the low tune and the capable driver.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-13-16, 09:36 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Russ

My System

Beautiful HT room by the way!

post #5 of 6 Old 09-14-16, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
Well if I were going to use my riser as a box, I think I would use it in a horn design. Would give you a much better response!
Good suggestion, however I have discussed with a friend and apparently that would be way beyond my needs, apparently also increasing the volume significantly. To be honest, I already find my existing subs to be frightening during certain scenes (barrel roll scene in Flight of the Phoenix for one). I am adding these subs as a "why not" since I will be making a riser regardless.

They will definitely be way way beyond my expectations/needs as standard ported design

Quote:
fusseli wrote: View Post
Looks very promising. Can you post WinISD files of the design? It's hard to say how big your port needs to be without modeling it, in general terms it will need to be very large (3 or 4 inch round ports will NOT do) considering a box that big and the low tune and the capable driver.
I have never used WinISD, but I noticed there were instructions on this forum. I will download tonight/tomorrow and give it a try.

Quote:
fusseli wrote: View Post
Beautiful HT room by the way!
Thanks!
post #6 of 6 Old 12-16-16, 10:52 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike R

Quote:
Keongman wrote: View Post
Good suggestion, however I have discussed with a friend and apparently that would be way beyond my needs, apparently also increasing the volume significantly. To be honest, I already find my existing subs to be frightening during certain scenes (barrel roll scene in Flight of the Phoenix for one). I am adding these subs as a "why not" since I will be making a riser regardless.

They will definitely be way way beyond my expectations/needs as standard ported design

I have never used WinISD, but I noticed there were instructions on this forum. I will download tonight/tomorrow and give it a try.

Thanks!
What did you end up doing here?
Post a picture of your riser/subwoofer.

Mike R,P.E.