Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Dual Opposed HST 18's

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  cichlids 
#1 ·
I am thinking of doing something a little different and was curious if anyone has done a DO box with HST18's? If someone has any thoughts on performance sound quality etc pretty much just wondering if there are any advantages over a 4cuft sealed box I am aware I need two 4cuft sealed but if I can get equal or better I am interested. Last question if this turns out that its a good idea can this box be stood upright using some type of legs where it could stand in a corner??
Thanks for your time.

#2 ·
The SI drivers are very popular in the DIY world and are highly regarded for their performance and SQ, so in that regard I would imagine the HST18 would work quite well for you.

I'm not entirely certain what you're referring to with the legs and standing it up, but from a general sense... subwoofers are able to accommodate variations in placement better than speakers can. With a speaker, being a few inches off center can totally change the sound profile, whereas with a subwoofer the same is often not the case.

#3 ·
Let me explain it seems for the most part most DIY subs are built either sealed or ported some use 1 drvr per cabinet others 2 a lot of subs are laying horizontally and some vertical. What I am looking for and really not sure if its worth it is an enclosure with a sub on each end of the box,one firing up the other firing down. Space wise the only way it would fit is to stand it up vertically and need to have it on legs too the sub firing down can reach full excursion. It seems like a decent idea but if I can get the same or better performance from two sealed 4 cuft boxes then there is no point in going thru with the DO and that is why I am asking/

#7 ·
Youll be musch better off using 1 HST18 with 2x 18in passive radiators ... nothing to suggest DO design has any advantage but seems to me internal resonance would be a drawback UNless you put them opposed in seperate sealed chambers... this is how I have my subs in my truck and it definitely eliminates 99% of the resonance and has a very balanced LFE output...

#8 ·
Not exactly true for multiple reasons. DO alignments all but completely eliminate internal resonances where as any PR alignment augments resonances...especially at/near the PR's tuning frequency. Not only my personal DO HST-11 setup but all other DO alignmetns with the drivers on opposite ends of the common chamber enclosure are next to perfectly vibration free. Separate chambers are not necessary and actually hinders the vibration canceling properties of a DO alignment.

Also a sealed DO alignment will play lower than a tuned PR system. Not only will it play lower overall but the roll off is smoother with less roll off per octave (12 dB/octave) below the F3 of the system compared to the more aggressive loss of output below tuning of a PR system (18 dB/octave).

#9 ·
Been awhile the DO cabinet looks great. I decided to use vinyl wrap with a dark wood grain finish. Mistakes were made but for a first not bad. As far as sound goes this beast pounds!! What still amazes me no vibration, I can set a glass of water on top it will not move and that is with the volume at ref.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.