2 si ht 18s ... not too impressed - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 23 Old 01-09-17, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

2 si ht 18s ... not too impressed

I have finally have my room set up and woofers set in place running off a crown xls1502 at 4 ohm per channel .
I was expecting much more output then I have . The woofers barely move . They are housed in a 22.5" square cube each . With approx 5 lbs of stuffing in each sealed box . I've looked over everything many times and can't figure out why there is barely any movement/ split. Coming from them . Can anyone shine some light on this for me . ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-09-17, 06:52 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System
Re: 2 si ht 18s ... not too impressed

Is the output sufficient? If so, I think you're in a good place; less movement = less distortion. So long as the output is OK then maybe it's not a problem.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 23 Old 01-09-17, 07:02 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

What Jman said. But if it really is an output problem and not just a lack of cone movement, then some details on your wiring / signal chain would be helpful. Common problems include something amiss in the amp’s menu, or Speakon connectors not wired correctly (if you’re using those).

Also, the speakers could be out of phase, meaning that the polarity is flopped on one of them. A good way to check for that is to disconnect one of the speakers. If you suddenly get sound, then that’s the problem.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #4 of 23 Old 01-09-17, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Output is quite low . Reciever is a onkyo nr807 i have a pair of rca cables going from there to the amp . Then from the crown to the subs I am using the binding posts. I've tried plying with sub placement .. corner loading etc and no luck . I assumed a woofer with such soft suspension would move quite easily expecially seeing 525 watts .. I have turned all volumes up on the amp and signal from onkyo to crown up all the way . I will see a clip signal on the crown on the status bars and still not happy with output .
post #5 of 23 Old 01-09-17, 11:20 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

I suspect a polarity issue. Try disconnecting one speaker as I suggested and see if the output levels increase. If that gets you nothing, then the fact that you’re lighting the clip indicators tells me you have plenty of input signal from the receiver, which basically narrows the problem down to a bad amplifier. You could double-check that by connecting it to your receiver’s L/R pre-amp outputs and see how it does with your main channel speakers (be careful!).

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #6 of 23 Old 01-09-17, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I've disconnected one side.. no change . I'll have to try them on my set of b and w 683s and see what it does
post #7 of 23 Old 01-09-17, 11:35 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Russ

My System

It must be a wiring or signal problem if you aren't getting much output.

That being said, the SI HT 18 has a ton of Xmech. I find that my nu3000 clips (and my entire house is shaking) before much audible distortion or even see the woofer traveling all that far. That Crown won't likely be enough power to bottom out the SI very easily.

post #8 of 23 Old 01-10-17, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

I might even try them free air and see what it does aswell
post #9 of 23 Old 01-10-17, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

As states the amp is seeing plenty of signal . I know I've been over the wiring and checked imp . I have a competition car audio background. I'll go through it again tomorrow and try free air the woofers. Think it's possible that there is too much stuffing?
post #10 of 23 Old 01-10-17, 01:22 AM
Shackster

Seems like a lot of stuffing, but i don't think that's your issue. plus i've had many onkyos and never had the sub level above zero.
One sub itself could be wired wrong when built. Also those subs are very power hungry, and 525 rms for those, is pushing the bare minimum.

Try sub level zero, amp level midway, and run one sub bridged, that will double your power and should give you some idea if its an amp issue. Also as stated before, try the front L/R preouts and see what happens. Good luck, shouldn't be to hard to narrow down the problem.