Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Velodyne eq max-8

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  theJman 
#1 ·
I have a (listed above) sub that was given to me. the cabinet and sub are in good condition, however the amp is toast. I was wondering if it is viable to use the old cabinet and get a new amp or build a new cabinet and get a new amp? the sub only has the word Velodyne on the back of the sub so I don't know what brand it is, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bruce

#2 ·
You could possibly do either of those things and get lucky, but subwoofer design includes amp, cab, and driver, and are designed to work together. If you just needed something for the garage maybe it'd be ok. If you really want to diy, I'd check partsexpress.com for a driver/flatpack combo. Even big velodyne subs aren't that great, and 8"s imo shouldn't even be attached to the word, subwoofer. The spec says it's response starts at 32hz. If I had to, I'd build a box tuned around that point and hope for the best, just as an experiment, but otherwise it's junk.

#3 ·
Agreed; all the subsystems are designed as a whole, so if you try and replace one of them with a generic equivalent you're likely to be unhappy with the results. What was the intended purpose of the sub? Perhaps there are alternatives available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.