Speaker suggestions - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 16 Old 06-14-17, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Question Speaker suggestions

I'm not sure if this is the right subsection to post in, feel free to move it.

Recently was given an RCA 5.1 system (RT2781H, i know, not the greatest) that I'm now using for my computer audio. Today I had the pleasure of watching smoke come out the subwoofer port, and then smelling the wretched burning for the rest of the day. Bye, bye, driver! Now comes the fun of replacing this speaker given the very limited specifications I could obtain. I was told that the speaker was, "85 watts max at 10%THD," and the only other specification I could find was an impedance, 3 ohms...

I'm considering many options, but I certainly don't want to buy something out of the responsive range. I did find a "Tang Band W6-1139SIF 6-1/2" Paper Cone Subwoofer Speaker" that looks decent, with a 50w RMS/100w peak and 4 ohm impedance, but I feel this might be out of range for the amplifier.

Anyone with any suggestions to replace in this box?

Oh, and hi! Glad to be here! (First post...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-14-17, 05:35 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System
Re: Speaker suggestions

Are you sure the smoke wasn't coming from the amp? It may not be the driver that bit the dust. Either way...

Powered subwoofers are designed holistically, so each part is relying upon the other to act in a very specific manner. You can't simply replace any one component with something generic that doesn't have the same characteristics as the original. Doing so will generally result in a less than satisfactory outcome. Given the original cost of that system it might be time to consider something new instead. I suspect trying to 'fix' your current subwoofer would be throwing good money after bad.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 16 Old 06-14-17, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I'm positive it was the driver that was smoking, yes. I've already disassembled the box and pulled the still smoking driver out once this happened. At this point, I'm just looking for a subwoofer driver that would hold up to the original "SL03024208" driver that was inside. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any data on this particular number driver to help guide me to a close replacement speaker, hence the request for some help. In all honesty, I just don't have the money to buy another full system, which is why I'm still attempting to repair just the driver. I'm sure there must be something close that I can get.

I can tell you, though, that this is just two speaker wires that are soldered directly to the driver that are then hooked into the rear of the receiver. There is no internal amplifier in the speaker box itself. The signal from the unit is the only power it receives. I was under the impression that powered subwoofers had some sort of integral amplifier inside of the box, separate from the receiver/head unit, and was assuming this is a simple unpowered subwoofer. I could be wrong, though. I certainly don't claim to be an expert by any means in audio.

Honestly, just was wondering what driver I could possibly use to replace this driver to get near the original quality and volume of sound.

post #4 of 16 Old 06-14-17, 09:26 PM
Shackster

Safer to go higher ohm than lower ohm. So if the replacement driver is really cheap you could try it for fun.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
post #5 of 16 Old 06-14-17, 10:56 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Russ

My System

As long as you're sure it was the driver and not the amp, the Tang Band W6-1139SIF is probably a much nicer driver than what came in there already and would be good as a drop in replacement without worrying about performance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #6 of 16 Old 06-15-17, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

I'm positive it was the driver. The receiver does the amplification, and sends it to that unpowered subwoofer box. As the smoke and burning came from the subwoofer box, and the only thing in it besides the port is the driver, I'm sure it wasn't the receiver sending the smoke through the wires to the subwoofer box, lololol.

All joking aside, I'm really wondering if there's a speaker that could do just as good of a job without costing $50+. After all, the entire 5.1 setup and receiver came in at $200 retail. I'm assuming the original component was dirt cheap, although I certainly buy a of a lot less speakers than RCA.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-15-17, 04:46 PM
Shackster

The amp could have went dc and could have fried the voice coil. If you have a piece of junk speaker connect it to amp if speaker smokes then dead amp

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #8 of 16 Old 06-15-17, 04:47 PM
Shackster

V

post #9 of 16 Old 06-15-17, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

So if the amp goes dc, wouldn't that just hold the speaker in or out until the winding overheats? Wouldn't that mean that the speaker wouldn't actually play, since the signal isn't oscillating? I know it was playing, and I certainly don't have a speaker that could handle the amp, really, besides some old 15w speaker from an old Pontiac Vibe that I wouldn't mind sacrificing, but at that point how do I know if it fries from DC or from overpower? Can I just use a multimeter and a test frequency to directly test the channel?
post #10 of 16 Old 06-15-17, 07:21 PM
Shackster

Quote:
grimeyobject wrote: View Post
So if the amp goes dc, wouldn't that just hold the speaker in or out until the winding overheats? Wouldn't that mean that the speaker wouldn't actually play, since the signal isn't oscillating? I know it was playing, and I certainly don't have a speaker that could handle the amp, really, besides some old 15w speaker from an old Pontiac Vibe that I wouldn't mind sacrificing, but at that point how do I know if it fries from DC or from overpower? Can I just use a multimeter and a test frequency to directly test the channel?
You wouldn't have to turn the volume high I believe with a speaker connected if the amp is dc it would fry the speaker just turning it on was the speaker playing when it smoked