Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Tempest-X Thiel/Small Parameters

3K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  BigPines 
#1 ·
The Tempest-X has been missing from the web site for a long time (likely due to it's current lack of availability). However, I would really like to simulate one. If anybody has the T/S params for this woofer, I would appreciate if they would post them.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

#4 ·
When you get around to posting these T/S params, could you also clarify how your dual coil drivers are wired during measurement? Is it consistent for all of your drivers? The Maelstrom-X has a note that says "Re: 3.1 Ohms (Voice Coils wired in parallel)." Does this mean that all the other params are measured in parallel as well? So for instance the Qes for the Maelstrom-X is listed as .43 so if that number is in parallel, it should be approximately .215 in series correct?

Mike

#6 ·
In Bass Box Pro if you try to enter too high a Qes in the series textbox, you get a message that says in part: "A Series-wired voice coil should normally have a Qes which is about half that of its individual voice coils."

So I basically need to know if the measurements were taken in Series or parallel because it could make a difference.

Mike

#8 ·
Yeah, I am just trying to be careful. I have made mistakes in the past where I assumed I knew how the measurements were taken. Of course, there is no standard on how to measure a dual coil driver. That would be too easy. ;)

Exodus may have a standard way of doing it though and that would be good to know.

Mike

#9 ·
In terms of the parameters, I list them for the current drivers measured in parallel, which is how 99% of people use them (as a nominal 4-ohm load). In the future I'll crank out a chart that shows the parameters broken down in different wired configurations just to clear up any confusion.

For now... Qes in parallel is the same when wired in series.

The relationship for Qes = Re*Kms/(BL^2*Fs*2*PI). Each individual voice coil has twice the Qes of the same coil wired in series or parallel. Without getting into the math just remember this:

Dual Voice Coil:

Qes in series = Qes in parallel.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

#10 ·
In terms of the parameters, I list them for the current drivers measured in parallel, which is how 99% of people use them (as a nominal 4-ohm load). In the future I'll crank out a chart that shows the parameters broken down in different wired configurations just to clear up any confusion.

For now... Qes in parallel is the same when wired in series.

The relationship for Qes = Re*Kms/(BL^2*Fs*2*PI). Each individual voice coil has twice the Qes of the same coil wired in series or parallel. Without getting into the math just remember this:

Dual Voice Coil:

Qes in series = Qes in parallel.
OK, I got it now. Yes, a chart would be welcome. This stuff can be confusing especially for a novice like myself.

Mike

#11 ·
OK, I think I have most everything figured out now. How does this look?

....... PARALLEL .... SERIES
Qes . 1/2 individual . 1/2 individual
Re ... 1/2 individual . 2x individual
Le ... ??? .............. ???
Z .... 1/2 individual . 2x individual
Bl .... 1x individual .. 2x individual
Pe ... 2x individual .. 2x individual
Qts . 1/2 individual . 1/2 individual
no ... 2x individual .. 2x individual

The above are approximations only. Do I have it correct?

Mike

#12 ·
Le should follow just like Re and Z. 1/2 of individual when in parallel and 2x when in series.

Also, Pe might not exactly follow 2x individual although that is how it is often quoted. My thinking is that even when only one coil is running it has almost an entire coil's worth of power dissipation capability.

#13 ·
Thanks. So it should be like this?

....... PARALLEL .... SERIES
Qes . 1/2 individual . 1/2 individual
Re ... 1/2 individual . 2x individual
Le ... 1/2 individual . 2x individual
Z .... 1/2 individual . 2x individual
Bl .... 1x individual .. 2x individual
Pe ... 2x individual .. 2x individual
Qts . 1/2 individual . 1/2 individual
no ... 2x individual .. 2x individual

Yeah, again these are only approximations and exact values should be determined by measurement. These are ballparks if you will.

Mike

#16 ·
Kevin,

I know you had a rough time last week with the snow and all. You are probably still trying to catch up.

When you get a chance, I am still interested in the T/S parameters of the new Tempest-X. Based on the number of views this thread has collected, I'd say I am not the only one either. :)

I did find the old T/S params and have modeled them. The old params are very similar to the Shiva-X but in a 15" form. I assume they share the same motor and similar suspension. I am very curious about the new Tempest-X as it may be a very good compromise between the Shiva-X and Maelstrom-X. With so many good driver options, it is going to be difficult to decide. :bigsmile:

Thanks in advance.

Mike

#17 ·
I'm not publishing anything at this time. When I have production units I'll post measurements.

The newer drivers have more BL than the older models. Other than that the situation hasn't changed much in a way that shows in the parameters. The inductance rings are different but that doesn't show-up in simple T/S parameters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.