Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

10" Aurasound Sonotube

17K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  ironglen 
#1 ·
Driver brand, model number and size.
Aurasound NS10-513-4A 10" Subwoofer (4ohm)

Enclosure volume in liters and cubic feet.
61.7 L 2.18 cu.ft

Tuning frequency.
28.4 Hz

Some prices are estimates:

Aurasound 10" driver $98 Madisound sale
12 3/8" inner diameter, 37 7/8" length sonotube $12 Lowe's/Home Depot
4" inner diameter flared port, 17" long $12 Madisound
#10-32 1 1/2" stainless allen bolts with hurricane nuts $6 Lowe's/Home Depot
8" grill $8 Madisound
3/4" MDF ~15" diameter leftover scrap pieces
1 1/8" subfloor fir plywood ~15" diameter leftover scrap piece
3' 3/8" fully threaded bolt with nylocknuts, flat washers $6 Lowe's/Home Depot
~1' total length of aluminum ski poles cut to ~3" lengths x 4 leftover scrap pieces

Currently powered by external Foster plate amp (115W into 4ohms) $35 NHT sale

See less See more
#3 ·
:rofl: The grill was for my t-bone and, seriously, I have the grill over the port as I will use it in the garage/shop (say, where's the headbanger smiley sporting a mullet, like back in the day???) Oh, and some of us don't have the fancy shop, tools, know-how, and 'connections' like others:hissyfit: So, you think the ski pole tubes are funny supporting the tube? See the -crutches- in one of the backgrounds? Yeah, I got'em at a garage sale for a $1 and they're likely gonna crutch my Maelstrom-X sonotube up. :neener: :yay2:

#5 ·
Thanks for the vote of confidence, I have it together with endcaps inserted (not glued and finish painted) and it has respectable output for sure! Best thing is it's in a corner of a bedroom/office and it hardly takes any room, 'going vertical' to gain space, like the saying for improving home storage. Too bad I don't live in Denison anymore, I see you've built and contributed your share to HT :T

#6 ·
LOL I can't resist this . . . .

I knew you lived in Denison, I had quite a wait before you left so I could move here from Wisconsin!

Just kidding, Your project placed in a corner should be a substantial improvement over any Ipod station and many other "New and ingenious" electronic audio products being advertised and marketed by mass producers that supposedly have "Remarkable Performance".
Let us see some pix of the project when they're ready. Give us a good hands on description of the Aurasound driver too.

#9 ·
A few pics of this hi-performance cheapo.

Attachments

#10 ·
If I were to do it again, for really cheap, I'd use the same tube and amp, along with any good quality 10" driver that models in the given volume(perhaps ed 11kv.2, dayton hf or css?), but substitute wood dowels/ 2x2 for legs (easier) and use a cardboard tube from an office supply store for the port(s). Under $200 powered, with excellent sound and output. (I soooo want to do a side-by-side with a box store sub)

#12 ·
Hey Glen, how do you like that grille that you used, I believe I have the same grilles to use on my sono build. Did the frame attach easily? I may have to mount mine to the frame of my subwoofer but it looks to match up real nice. I am more concerned about how it sounds, I hope it is not to "restrictive" let me know your findings from listening.

#13 ·
Hey DWR, I think it looks good; I got an 8" I think from madisound so it would mount around the flared vent. I affixed the mounting ring with 4 screws, and the grill fits snugly around it. It is not flush, so it has more 'room' to breathe, so along with the actual 7" of grill width, I don't notice any restriction. As I noted, the 4" vent is plenty for this 10" driver.

#16 ·
Thanks Drake, it was actually my first build: it just took a while to paint and cover it (guess I found out what others suspect: finish your sub before putting into service). I use it for music and it surprises me how well it pressurizes a 12x16 room with a cathedral ceiling, with only 115w. The 4 inch port breathes easy, even at max volumes: I think a nicely flared 3 inch would even work, although I haven't modeled it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.