JL Audio 15" W-6-? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers - General Discussion
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 3712 - Replies: 17  
Old 05-17-09, 02:39 PM   #1

Bill
Since: May 2009
central Va.
I started this thread.
JL Audio 15" W-6-?

Hello Guy's, Brand new member here and probably just as confused if not more so than a lot of newbies so help out with opinions here please!

I happen to have a pair of cherry JL Audio 15" W-6's that were part of a system with practically no prior use in a classic car that have been put away for some years. I know when I bought these they were the top of the line JL subs ( PRE W-7 days) that JL offered. As I progress into playing with setting up a HT system on a very limited budget after looking at the pricing on different componants making use of what I already own could go a long way into setting up a better sounding system with limited dollars.

The speakers right now are mounted in a sealed seperated box that meet the specs that JL Adio recommends for these speakers. My questions are many but would I be okay to stay with the sealed box for HT use or be better served to put together a ported box?

The room size will be about 17'x14' and used 80% for HT use. The sealed box size as per JL currently is 1.25' ft, the recommended ported enclosure size 2.25ft with two 3"x21.2" ports.

The specs on the W-6's are, Fs 16.3 Hz, Qts 0.312, Qms 7.817, Vas 10.88ft, Xmas 0.420 in,
Efficiency(1W/1m) 87.9db, Sd 131.0 in, nominal impedance dual 6 ohm, Pt 400 watts.

Will probably from reading what seems like 1000's of post to different forums go with something along the line of a Behringer amp and if needed a smart box and or EQ set up. I guess will these subs be a good choice to use for HT and how best to utilze them for the best performance?

Thanks in advance for all help and opinions!

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-09, 03:14 PM   #2
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Mike
Since: Apr 2007
Chitek Lake, Sask.
Re: JL Audio 15" W-6-?

The recommended sealed and ported sizes for car audio are completely different from what is required for HT. Car audio relies on the extreme amount of cabin gain to boost the low end, Ht applications have room gain to boost the low end but at a much lesser degree.
The 15w6 has a Xmax of 10.7 mm, to best utilize the sub in a HT application ported would be the way to go. The sub in 5 cu.ft. tuned to 19 hz would reach Xmax with 275 watts. A high pass filter would be required at 16 hz to protect the sub from over excursion at the lower frequencies. Porting would be one 4 inch diameter flared port 16.75 inches long.

Name:  JL 15w6.JPG
Views: 1945
Size:  62.9 KB

Old 05-17-09, 03:57 PM   #3

Bill
central Va.
I started this thread.

So correct me if I am wrong but what I am reading here is that the sub would have to be in a HUGE enclosure and then be very limited in its operational range to minimize the risk of damage from over excursion.
So actual bottom line would be these W-6's really are more suited for automotive use and do not really do very well on the crossover to HT, would this be a fair assesment?

Old 05-17-09, 05:01 PM   #4
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Mike
Chitek Lake, Sask.

A 5 cu.ft. enclosure would be approximately a 22 inch cube, far from being considered huge. The sub would not be limited in its operational range if the appropriate measures are taken to protect the sub. (high pass filter). With roon gain one sub is capable of 112 db at 20 hz and lower, which is good performance from a sub with limited Xmax and power handling. There are better subs out there if you want a higher level of performance, click on the link in my signature to see what people have been building.

Old 05-17-09, 05:39 PM   #5

Bill
central Va.
I started this thread.

Okay, makes more sense to me now. I told you I was a confused newby! lol!

I guess the reason I had thought huge was that the diminsions for the 1.25' sealed enclosure was like 18"x16"x11.5" and I was figuring to get a 5 cubic foot would be 4 times that measurement. Two- 22" cubes would be a much more reasonable.

So basically what LP and HP cutoffs would be best to use for this set up? Also would something like the Behringer 2500 be a good choice as far as an amp to power these?

I guess really what I am looking for is the capability to get the effects from like the depth charges in movies like u-571 or the effects from movies like WOTW or Blackhawk down at something like the levels you would find in an average theater and I realize that there are better options available for the right amount of dollars.

So since I already have the W-6's as far as a performance versus a cost factor and all I would need to do is purchase the amp and build the boxes would the outcome likely give satisfactory results? I do appreciate you taking the time and effort to give your insight as well! Thanks!

Old 05-17-09, 06:32 PM   #6
Elite Shackster

mdrake
Since: Jan 2008
Central California

Never used a 15" W6 but I did build a large ported enclosure for a 15-W4 and it sounded great. I believe you will happy with the sound of the W6's. The other option is to sale them on ebay and get a more up to date woofer. "Back in my car audio days the W6 was a BAD WOOFER. Brings back memories.

Matt

Old 05-17-09, 07:54 PM   #7
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Mike
Chitek Lake, Sask.

Low pass would be 80 hz from the receiver. Behringer amps don't have a built in high pass so you'll have to get an add on unit like the Reckhorn B1. As for which model of amp to get, that will depend if this is as far as you want to go with subs or if you might want to upgrade the subs in the future.

Old 05-17-09, 08:56 PM   #8

Bill
central Va.
I started this thread.

Mike, As far as whether or not to be wanting to upgrade the subs in the future is something I really cannot give an honest answer to at this point until I see whether or not I am able to achieve the desired results with the W-6's. If that achieved goal can be met then I would see no need to upgrade further. I have always been one that as long as it works for me and I am happy then all is well. , I even like the old Cerwin Vega home speakers but maybe we best leave that one alone! lol!

I personally would rather run an amp that gives me ample headroom that I am not constantly stressing during normal daily operation to meet its goals as I seem to have found over the years that the equipment ran at say 65- 70% of rated output usually has a much longer lifespan and you stay into a cleaner power output as well.

From what I am hearing here, I think I will give building a couple of boxes for the JL's a shot. Since I already have the subs then what do I have to lose other than some time and a few sheets of mdf.

So by using the criteria of really no idea about the future upgrade potentials but I will need to purchase an amp regardless what would you suggest that would fit my current needs but still leave some room for some later upgrade if needed?

Old 05-17-09, 09:51 PM   #9
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Mike
Chitek Lake, Sask.

The EP2500 and the Reckhorn B1 would make an excellent combination for now as well as the future.

Old 05-17-09, 10:03 PM   #10

lsiberian
Since: Mar 2009
Fort Worth, TX

Not to argue with Mike, but I see a 4" port as a bit small for this sub. Maybe at his volumes it won't really matter though.

This sub is very sensitive and easy to drive. Impressive output at 300w considering.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers - General Discussion »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »