Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Replacing oem driver with new, should I expect improvement?

5K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  O_ROD 
G
#1 ·
Hi guys

I have a Sound Dynamics THS-3000 subwoofer (12" in a sealed enclosure), for music only, and am wanting to replace the original woofer with a tougher, longer-excursion driver. My sub's right around 10yrs old and the woofer has a tendacy to bottom-out :surrender: , even though I seldom play my system very loudly ( I had to have a new surround put on about 3yrs ago). I was thinking of replacing it with an Adire Shiva Classic or a Dayton DVC.

Any experience with or opinions on these drivers?

Thanks,

The Deeje

#4 ·
Is it a powered sub? If it is, do you know how much power it is capable of producing at a 4ohm load?

Also, if it is powered, I've always felt projects like this (driver swaping in commercial subs)were risky since there is no way to determine whether or not there is any form of EQ going on, there usually is. Each part of a pre-built sub is designed specifically to work with the original parts. If you can ball-park the internal volume you'll know just a little of whats necessary to have a good sounding sub.

If its just a driver in a box, replacing the driver would be way less risky. You'll have the option to choose between many aftermarket amps.

G
#5 ·
It is a powered sub with, i believe, a 125w amp. I've been kinda concerned about some preset EQ within the amp. I'm assuming that Kyle, with Acoustic-Visions took all this into consideration when he recommended the Shiva.

#6 ·
So you've already spoken to Kyle already, good. I assume he took preset EQ into consideration as well. However It doesn't hurt to ask him, for reassurance.

This is what you'll get, before room gain and with a steady 125watts of power.

Edit: I accidentily gave the box a few extra liters...wont make much a difference ;)

#8 ·
well, LT stands for linkwitz transform, something you never even mentioned...I got a little confused and mentioned it here on accident lol.

As you can see, i removed that comment all together as it just didn't apply here.

If you're curious read about it here http://sound.westhost.com/project71.htm, a quick google search brought that site up.

#9 ·
EQ aside, I didn't think that you could use the same box with a different driver. The volume of a box is determined by the Thiele-Small parameters. Since these drivers are different, I'm pretty sure the box will have the incorrect dimensions for the new driver.

Here is a link to Unibox -- and WinISD. Both sites have a free download that can help you figure out the correct internal volume for a given driver. In either case, you will need the T/S parameters.

JCD

G
#10 ·
Thanks for the links JCD. I will play around with these things when I get back from a weekend trip to engage in my other hobby, photography.

I was sure hoping things wouldn't get complicated. I was considering dishing out $1200-$2000 for a couple of wonderful sounding REL subs I heard. But, I talked myself out of that with the lure that I could probably improve my sound enough with a $125 Shiva. I like the sound of my sub now, I just want a stronger woofer and if some improvement comes with it, I'll be happy.

G
#12 ·
Regress to cannibalism in this civilized age?:yikes: Hhm...:scratch: ...well, I do like to try new things.

If the Shiva doesn't work satisfactorily in my current enclosure then perhaps I'll see if some of those tools I have actually work.:flex:

G
#13 ·
Glad to hear from someone having the same sub, I have this sub in perfect condition because I never used it, sitting home most of the time. I love this sub because its one of the best sub available in Montreal area.

I am an experienced car audio installer. I want to follow up this tread with other ppl who own this sub.

#15 ·
Add 2 lbs of fiberfill, slap a shiva in there and pound away! Sealed subs are very forgiving and adding a shiva will help with the lower extension. Also, with the Shiva, you can later upgrade the amp, then maybe a bigger box. i think you will like the results. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.