Poly Fiber fill. Is it worth using? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 19 Old 01-03-10, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Poly Fiber fill. Is it worth using?

After reading various negative comments on using poly fiber fill to stuff enclosures to bring qtc down and make the driver think it is in a larger enclosure I am starting to think I should use something else.

What are people's thoughts on fiber fill and what is the best stuff to use. Excuse the pun!

cheers

Graham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-03-10, 04:13 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: Poly Fiber fill. Is it worth using?

What negative comments?

If you are worried about fibers getting into the motor add a filter, pantyhose work.

Other than maybe that, I can't think of anything else.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-03-10, 07:16 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

I would try it with and without and play the same lfe track to see if you hear a difference. Some say it helps some say it doesn't. Here is some info you can check out....http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/134...osure-resource
post #4 of 19 Old 01-03-10, 07:17 PM
Senior Shackster

David

Yes, where are you reading negative comments? I recommend using poly fill.

And by the way, it does not make the driver "think" the enclosure is larger, it effectively makes the enclosure larger by increasing the density and complexity of air flow paths inside the enclosure.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-03-10, 09:56 PM
Shackster
Brax

Is there a "Best" material to use for fill? (sub will be sealed) My mains are filled with fiberglass in the woofer chamber and lambs wool (DIY upgrade) for the mids and tweets. I read a review on Parts Express where the author said Acousta-Stuf Polyfill worked much better than your basic polyfill and comments on other boards that claim fiberglass is better then ployfill.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-04-10, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Hi guys,

I bought this stuff.

http://www.worldofwool.co.uk/products.php?cat=68

I have read positive and negative comments but I have seen some people use sheet type fill to line the walls of the sub and some use like what I have to stuff the middle of the enclosure. I wasn't sure if it was there was any advantages/disadvantages of lining the wall of filling the middle of the enclosure.

cheers

Graham
post #7 of 19 Old 01-04-10, 02:26 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Brax wrote: View Post
Is there a "Best" material to use for fill? (sub will be sealed) My mains are filled with fiberglass in the woofer chamber and lambs wool (DIY upgrade) for the mids and tweets. I read a review on Parts Express where the author said Acousta-Stuf Polyfill worked much better than your basic polyfill and comments on other boards that claim fiberglass is better then ployfill.
I believe it is wool, then fiberglass, specialty fill, and then regular pollyfill. The difference is not that great though. I have seen it wool, fiberglass, and polly tested somewhere, but I can't remember where.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-04-10, 02:35 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
gperkins_1973 wrote: View Post
Hi guys,

I bought this stuff.

http://www.worldofwool.co.uk/products.php?cat=68

I have read positive and negative comments but I have seen some people use sheet type fill to line the walls of the sub and some use like what I have to stuff the middle of the enclosure. I wasn't sure if it was there was any advantages/disadvantages of lining the wall of filling the middle of the enclosure.

cheers

Graham
That will work fine.

With subs you stuff a sealed enclosure, and line a vented one. Some people choose to just line a sealed sub instead of stuffing it, to each his own.

If you are talking full range speakers, you can just add some lining the wall behind the driver to help dampen rear wave reflections. You could also stuff a sealed, and completely line a vented enclosure.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-04-10, 02:39 AM
Senior Shackster

I will add that you can stuff a vented enclosure, but you need to pull the pollyfill apart and lightly stuff it. If done right you can stick your face into it an still breath fine.

I don't see why anyone would do this, but I have seen it before.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-04-10, 05:06 AM
Senior Shackster

Buy a cheap pillow.