Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Shiva mechanical noise

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Lucky7! 
#1 ·
If you were to use a Shiva in a push/pull arrangement with one driver reversed, ie cone facing in, magnet out, would there be any reason to expect any mechanical noise from the driver?

I have not experienced it myself, but I have seen others mention it (not for Exodus drivers IIRC) as an audible problem in some instances. Just wondered if there was any need to be concerned, keeping the drivers within Xmax?

Pic linked is to show layout, and my idea is basically the same, but all rectangular with no cylindrical section.

Linked from Chris' Tube Haven.

Thinking of using my LAB12 drivers this way, until I sell some of my instruments and raise the cash to upgrade to the Shivas. I already have the wood cut for an abandoned project that would be used for these, about 90L sealed.

I found some huge cardboard boxes and cut them up to the same dimensions as the TH I did over the W/E and they are just too big.

See less See more
#2 ·
There isn't a hard and fast rule. The more excursion you have, the more self-noise from the air rushing over parts and the suspension noise you get. The larger drivers are better than smaller drivers in general and drivers with a more capable suspension system are better than those without.

In general, the only application I've found where it matters is dipoles because of the relative SPL level in-room with stroke. You need massive amounts of swept volume to get good SPL in a dipole and the drivers are completely exposed so there is no box to mask noise. In most general applications (sealed, ported etc..) you have significantly higher SPL with that same stroke and you have high low frequency levels masking any potential driver noise. When they start making noise you are out of usable stroke and people turn the system down and understand they have pushed the limits.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

#3 ·
Thanks Kevin, got all that. I appreciate your honest answers - not to often you get straight info from manufacturers.

Been doing a lot of thinking and designing because of the TH thread ( may have created aor at least encouraged a monster there) and what I can practically an affordably do to get the most LF, cleanly and evenly in the room I can. I think I'll get another Mal X18, seal them both, use the LABs in sealed boxes (replace with Shivas later in the year) and use a spare DCX for management. Lots of placement options wrt loading and modes this way, and most likely, more than enough output very cleanly for my needs for the cost of an X18 and a couple of sheets of ply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.