Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

TC-2000 problem and ??

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  rhino2 
#1 ·
Okay I am building a sonotube (24" by 48" tall). I was planning on using the Buttkicker amp to power my 15" TC-2000 but it dawned on me today that I think I ordered a dual voice coil one instead of a single. I think it may already be on its way and so I don't know if I can switch to a single voice coil. I tried to call TC today but I think everyone may still be on their long weekend since I just get their voice mail.
If I do use the buttkicker and wire it in series or parallel I will either get about 500W or 2100W which doesn't really work either way. If I can't change my order, can anyone think of a good amp combination (maybe the behringer ep1500??) that I could bridge or run both channels and use in a better configuration with the DVC either in series or parallel? I am kicking myself today because I ordered it about a week ago and it just dawned on me. :wits-end: :duh:

#2 ·
If I do use the buttkicker and wire it in series or parallel I will either get about 500W or 2100W which doesn't really work either way.
Why's that? :confused: Either combo will work just fine. 500W vs. 1000W is just 3 dB. You'll have so much headroom that I'd bet you can't even use the full 500W. If you wan to go crazy, use 2 ohm load (BKA won't give 2100W, probably more like 1500W). TC-2000 can take it when considering it's not constant but peak instead (TC2k is rated 2000W peak). It's actually good to have some extra juice for big transients.

#4 ·
Ilkka thanks for the response. So you don't think that 1500-2000 rms would be too much and possibly risk overdriving the sub? Or would I just have to dial back the amp a bit to avoid pushing it too hard. Or set it lower on the reciever end? Which would be better? Sorry I am a bit new to this as you can probably tell.

#5 ·
You are now mixing two things. Gain on your sub amp (or subwoofer output gain on your AVR) and subwoofer max output. With gain control you dial the sub's output so it matches with the other speakers in your system. It has nothing to do with how loud your subwoofer can play.

What kind of subwoofer you are building? I assume LLT? Tuned at around 15-16 Hz? If yes, then believe me, you won't be overdriving that sub by accident unless you live in an airplane hangar.

I believe people are a little bit confused about this "amp limited" thing of Steve's. It's not a crime to use a more powerful amp than what the driver's RMS spec says. Music isn't constant sine waves, it's transients instead.

#6 ·
Trust me, you won't have the gain on the amp much past 12 oclock eitherway. I have the TC2K SVC and that Buttkicker amp and my gain is set at 10 oclock with my receivers subwoofer level set to 5 on a scale of 0-20.

I am with Ilkka. You'll be fine eitherway most likely. I'd probably wire it in series for a basically an 8ohm load though.

#7 ·
Trust me, you won't have the gain on the amp much past 12 oclock eitherway. I have the TC2K SVC and that Buttkicker amp and my gain is set at 10 oclock with my receivers subwoofer level set to 5 on a scale of 0-20.
I'm not sure what you mean, but you do know that the sub amp gain setting or the AVR subwoofer level setting don't have anything to do with the maximum output of your subwoofer. They are merely a ways to match the subwoofer's output with your system.

I am with Ilkka. You'll be fine eitherway most likely. I'd probably wire it in series for a basically an 8ohm load though.
I'm sure that 500W is enough. Downside is that the Le will get doubled up. Positive thing is that the damping factor of the amp will go higher.

#8 · (Edited)
I appreciate all the quick responses and advice so far. Thanks! But since I have not ordered the amp yet is there an ideal candidate or configuration I should be looking at? Say, is there a way to wire it so it would work with the behringer ep1500 or ep2500 and still get about 700-900W at 4 ohm? I understand what you are saying Ilkka that realistically I could have virtually unlimited headroom and still never drive the sub past excursion but I feel like a made a design flaw by ordering the DVC and am trying to find the best workable range with the components I have. Yes the design I am going with is an LLT (about 280L tuned to about 15hz). Nice job helping with the Finnish LLT's by the way! I'm sure they sound as good as they look. I was sad to see Thomas W shut down that thread over on the other forum (he can be a little testy at times).
Sorry to be such a pain about this but since this is new to me I am just having a hard time wrapping my head around how to wire up the DVC in such a way to take advantage of either multiple channels or bridged config. of an amp (which is another reason I should have ordered a SVC less work for my overtaxed mental faculties). suggestions welcome!

Mrogowski nice to see another fellow Winnipegan on here. I grew up there. Lovely city!

#9 ·
I'm not sure what you mean, but you do know that the sub amp gain setting or the AVR subwoofer level setting don't have anything to do with the maximum output of your subwoofer. They are merely a ways to match the subwoofer's output with your system.
Of course I know that, and I never suggested otherwise. You just somehow realized that from my post. :coocoo:

#10 ·
Hallelujah!! I tried to call TC earlier today and could never get an answer. I tried right now and managed to get ahold of someone even though they are technically closed today. I was able to make the switch to a Single Voice Coil and it shouldn't be any problem. They were super easy to work with and I am happy to say my SVC should ship out next week! Problem solved! Thanks everyone for your help though.

#11 ·
Sticking with 2 ohms you have this to work with:
Ep1500: rated @ 700watts/ch 2ohms. Realisitcally you wont see anywhere near 700 watts.
Ep2500: rated @ 1200 watts/ch 2ohms. You'll probably see a better percentage of rated power in this situation, real world. Probably around 900watts.

Buttkicker will give you a little bit more than a single channel of an Ep2500.

#16 ·
Ilkka, thanks for all the help so far...I was actually thinking this morning when I got on the computer of another question I had for you. And since I was able to get such friendly help and quick responses from everyone on this forum I figured I would post and ask you about the buttkicker amp as well. So imagine my surprise when I open the post and you are already asking me about it....I thought that was kind of ironic:)

I was wondering what you thought about the buttkicker amp and it's capabilities. I know the question has been raised about it's suitability as far as driving a regular sub is concerned. Since you helped with the "Finnish twin's" sonotubes where the buttkicker was used I thought I would be able to ask what you thought about the sound quality. Is it comparable with the behringer ep's? Did it live up to it's repuation? What does everyone think of it who has made a sub with it? You guys have more experience than I do (obviously) and I trust your ears...so if you guys are satisfied with it's performance than I know I will be. So I await your thoughts...

Thanks,
Chad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.