Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

'Best' drivers for LLT? Design philosophies.

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  SteveCallas 
#1 ·
Hi all'

As you can see, I'm in Australia, hope where you are is as pleasant as where I am!!

Back to topic, the availablity of drivers here is not as abundant as elsewhere, and any drivers that are here have gone thru a rather extensive transportation process.

So, lurking at the back of my mind was the thought that if ever I made it back over to the states, coming back as an exalted 'guest' would be a driver that would suit being used in an LLT.

Now, it is increasingly unlikely at the moment that I will be in the states any time soon. However, a friend of mine suddenly dashed off to Florida two days ago, and I'm now doing preliminary research prior to hassling him to bring back a driver for me.

Tc 2000 (?) has been bandied around a lot, what other drivers should I consider??

Basic info to make your valued help more targeted, my only interest is two channel, high end.

WAF not super important, can basically do what I want.

Room dimensions, approx 9 m by 6m by 5m give or take a cubic metre or two.

Am only really interested in using it up to about 50 - 70 hz. Have 18 inch drivers in my mains, but being pro drivers don'r go super low but pack a rather tasty punch.

Price is not a super important consideration, although having said that I do resent the all too often 'hi fi wank' prices that we can find, so good value I guess is what I'm saying.

Can you help me narrow down some prospective choices, and within the next fortnight or so pare that down to 'the one'??

thanks so much in advance, I'd like to jump on this sudden opportunity.

lots of love

terry

See less See more
#2 ·
A few more ideas.

Sound Splinter Rl-p 15 d2, many have used this in LLT's. It actually takes tons of power and can be used in a smaller enclosure than the Tc-2000 with Similar output.
Fi Car Audio Q series (customized with lower Qts)
Adire Tumult 15d2 - can be found at DIY cable right now for an all time low this generation of $450
Ascendant Audio Avalanche 15-18 if you can find one.

You really couldn't go wrong with any of these drivers for LLT.

#4 ·
Hi Terry,

You might want to check out a good thread on the Cult of the Infinitely Baffled. Folks in Oz were talking about a driver that sells down there for a decent price that would work well in both IB and EBS configs. Here's the link - you'll have to register but its free:

http://ibsubwoofers.proboards51.com

The thread is 'Drivers Available in Australia' - worth looking into...

Best,
Mark

#5 ·
thanks marc

had a quick look at the 'drivers in aus thread', the only one mentioned was a 15 inch venom, and the quoted figures didn't fully tally with the figures Steve recommended in the LLT sticky, main one I spose was Fs of around 25 hz.

Will keep my eye on this thread, but have got the sonotube program from somewhere so might muck about with it when I get a bit of time, not sure if it models LLTs tho, will find out soon enough.

Is Win isd OK to model LLT's in?? Perhaps there is a thread that already covers it, could someone please direct me if that's the case. I know I have the speaker program ( can't remember what it's called right now,) but it's the one in spreadsheet form, I'm sure it's the one I often see others use in AVR ( ? ) for their modelling. Trouble is, I think that one is a bit harder to use, especially for me as I'm pretty bloody slow when it comes to computers - so fingers crossed on Win ISD.

see ya

terry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.