Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Contemplating my next project

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Exocer 
#1 ·
I'm nearing the completion of my first DIY project (PR sub end-table) and I'm already scheming for my next.

With a budget of somewhere between $300 and $500 for components (both speakers together) (not counting box-building materials), I'd like to build some left and right mains. I want something that will run well off of 50w RMS (in HK watts). I am still very new to the DIY HT stuff and ask for advice in design and component selection.

I like the idea of a 3-way WMTM design. Would I have enough power from my receiver to make it worth my while? I'll eventually go for a seperate amp, but for now I'm going to stick with what I have (HK AVR-240).

I welcome any arguments for this or other designs.

Thanks -

-Ben

PS. I've posted an identical thread at AVS. I hope I'm not breaking protocol.

#2 ·
I'd stick with proven designs if I were you and just beginning. Designing a network is a real science, not easy at all. Designing a 3 way is VERY difficult.

Take a peek at the DIY Natlie P's and I'd also take a hard look at www.gr-research.com DIY kits. Their AV2's are right in your ballpark and would be a great speaker to build. I have 5 of them :D

Darren

#5 ·
Since you already have a sub to handle the low stuff, I'd stick with a MTM or even just a TM design to get the best performance with the budget you've given..

To that end, I might look at some of the kits from Zalytron or Madisound.
Zalytron probably has better prices, but Elliot (the owner/operator?) can come across a little "gruff". Anyway, I'm digressing.. I'd take a look at the "Hero" or maybe the the "HiqAcess" kit. Both are designed by the DIY god Joe D/Appolito and use a Hiquphon tweeter, one of the better tweeters out there right now. If you can get up to $587, I've "seen" someone build the Mentor 5 and they like it a lot.
At Madisound, The Vifa Big AV kit has gotten some good recommendations. At $475 it also stays in your budget.

There are also the Natalie P's, Modula's, etc that have been floating around lately as well.. but I have no idea how they compare.

JCD

#6 ·
To get a little more background what size is your listening space?

As a Natalie P owner I can tell you they sounded great with my HK avr235 receiver, there was certainly enough gas in the tank. Adding a seperate amp designed to handle this 4ohm load provided even better SQ/headroom. So until you upgrade to a dedicated amp (recommended) you will be okay with these speakers and the HK.
If it is in your budget to build 3-way mains you should go that route. The TMWW's are vertical floorstanders and the WTMW's are horizontal laying speakers. Both of them sound great from what Ive read....I see most people building them with Dennis Murphy crossover designs :T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.