two ported 12's vs 1 sealed 15" - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 14 Old 03-11-10, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Matthew

two ported 12's vs 1 sealed 15"

My room is 1950 cubic feet with three doorways. Should I purchase 2 12 inch ported subs to place on both sides of rear couch (mainly home theater, some music), or should I go with a sealed 15 inch sub? I currently have a 10 inch ported sub. Sounds ok, but no real deep bass. Can two 12's outrun one 15"?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-11-10, 12:58 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: two ported 12's vs 1 sealed 15"

It depends on what subs you are comparing.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 14 Old 03-11-10, 02:49 AM
Elite Shackster

If your choosing between different driver sizes from the same source, then generally pricing between them is fairly small. I think you should look at 2 sealed 15's personally. The sealed 15 cabs wouldnt be much different in size to the 12 ported cabs either really.

As Mike has pointed out though, an idea of the drivers your looking at is needed before you can compare the 2 accurately.
post #4 of 14 Old 03-11-10, 08:32 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Or perhaps if you were looking at two 15"s then two ported would be a great option with loads of low end. Lots and lots of fun. LOL!

cheers

Graham
post #5 of 14 Old 03-11-10, 09:47 AM
Elite Shackster

2 ported 15's will be to big!
post #6 of 14 Old 03-11-10, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Matthew

Quote:
Moonfly wrote: View Post
2 ported 15's will be to big!
I was just asking in a very general way. Say you had two subs that were the identical drivers but one set up was two 12's and the other sub was one 15". Hypothetically speaking, would the two twelve inch sub have an advantage since the combined surface area of the two would be more than the single fifteen? I know there are many variables, but say you had room to build and integrate two smaller subs than to try to find room for one big sub, would the two twelves be wise? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
post #7 of 14 Old 03-11-10, 12:11 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

As far as better performance, like mentioned it depends on a few things but with 2 subs you can smooth out your response and help any nulls you might have.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-11-10, 01:56 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Comparison must be made between drivers not sizes.

a JL Audio 12w7 would destroy most 15" drivers in a one on one contest.

But it's also a very expensive driver. Linearity is the central figure in subwoofer analysis. BL needs to be as flat as possible for as long as possible. Your goal should be the drivers that best meet your budget and size constraints. If small boxes aren't required. I suggest dual Dayton 15" RF ported.

However if a small box is required. Start with sealed Shiva's. If you got money for more then go for more.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-11-10, 02:18 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
MatthewNixon wrote: View Post
I was just asking in a very general way. Say you had two subs that were the identical drivers but one set up was two 12's and the other sub was one 15". Hypothetically speaking, would the two twelve inch sub have an advantage since the combined surface area of the two would be more than the single fifteen? I know there are many variables, but say you had room to build and integrate two smaller subs than to try to find room for one big sub, would the two twelves be wise? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
If you took two of the same drivers that differ only in size, like the AE AV15/12-X, then 2 12's will go as deep as a single 15, with ever so slightly more max spl above 50hz. This is comparing sealed against sealed, and ported the 2 12's would offer slightly more output at tune, but less below, assuming a tune point that isnt silly low. This is a very broad generalization though, and based mainly on my experience of AE drivers and modelling Ive played with using other drivers in software only.

To answer hypothetical questions like this is really impossible. All drivers are different, and you need to model specific comparisons to answer the question in each case. As Isiberian says, there are some 12/13 inch drivers out there that will match a 15 depending on the particular comparison case.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-11-10, 02:56 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

In most cases two ported 12's would outperform a sealed 15 if the subs are optimized for the application.

Pink is 2 Shiva-x subs, each in 5 cu.ft tuned to 20 hz with 1000 watts each and the appropriate hi-pass filter.

Yellow is a Tempest-X in 6 cu.ft. sealed with 1000 watt and the appropriate hi-pass filter.

two ported 12's vs 1 sealed 15"-shiva.jpg

We're all in this together!