My First SUB Build! - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 13 Old 03-12-10, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Kevin A

My First SUB Build!

Well I recently completed my very first attempt at building a DIY subwoofer for my HT set-up.
I've spent the past six months of so reviewing build threads here and other forums before making my mind up a few months ago and deciding to go with the Tuba HT (folded horn) sub plans of Bill Fitzmaurice. I spent a good deal of time reading and reviewing the builds of others who've made this sub & although the size of these subs — 36 x 36 x 24.5" (or 36)— made me pause at first. Fortunately, the room I have could accommodate a box of these dimensions.

Here are a few pics of the process:
All made of 15/32" arauco ply from the local Lowes, held in place with 1-1/4 drywall screws & PL adhesive.

View over panel 1 looking towards panels 3 & 5 (braced):

View showing the two narrow braces in place:

Detail shot of the narrow space in which I had to squeeze my big mitts. I did remember to predrill both braces so I could use both the PL and screws to secure them:

The horn grows....

One final turn...

Horn mouth painted black...

Top on...

black primer...

15" driver in place. first coat of Duratex....

All done! Took about 6-8 days of a leisurely work pace to complete, but I'm happy with the way it came out!

I initially ran some test tones through it from a bash 300 amp (25-80Hz sweeps @ about 20v) & the thing just rumbled & made me well aware of everything that was secured down in my garage (!!)

It's now in place in my upstairs HT room and I'm in the process of running REW & figuring out how to best integrate the sub into my system with the BFD. More fun ahead.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-12-10, 03:28 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System
Re: My First SUB Build!

Looks fantastic, I bet it sounds great too. How did you put on the Duratex?
post #3 of 13 Old 03-12-10, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Kevin A

Quote:
tcarcio wrote: View Post
Looks fantastic, I bet it sounds great too. How did you put on the Duratex?
Two layers of roll on using a textured roller. It went on surprisingly easy—and allowed to get as much (or as little) texture simply by adjusting the amount of pressure to the roller. Very forgiving. Not too many drips on the ground...
It dried to the touch in about 30 minutes, but I wss told it's best to let cure for a day or so before bringing it indoors.
post #4 of 13 Old 03-12-10, 08:23 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Nice build. The Tuba HT has has a lot of interest lately. After you get the sub integrated it would be nice to see a REW graph.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #5 of 13 Old 03-12-10, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Kevin A

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
Nice build. The Tuba HT has has a lot of interest lately. After you get the sub integrated it would be nice to see a REW graph.
Yeah, my plan is to get the whole REW/BFD rig set-up & began taking some measurements.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-12-10, 11:48 PM
HTS Moderator
doug

My System

Very nice! Which driver?
post #7 of 13 Old 03-13-10, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Kevin A

Quote:
dougc wrote: View Post
Very nice! Which driver?
I used the driver recommended by BFM for this model: the Dayton DVC385-88 15" DVC Series Subwoofer

post #8 of 13 Old 03-13-10, 02:44 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

I've seen alot of these subs on the avsforum at the moment. They seem to be more and more popular. I could just about fit two of those in my living room. Would be better if they were 22" wide instead.

I thought they were geared for 20hz and above but with alot more spl. Defo can wait to see some graphs mate.

cheers

Graham
post #9 of 13 Old 03-13-10, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Kevin A

Quote:
gperkins_1973 wrote: View Post
I've seen alot of these subs on the avsforum at the moment. They seem to be more and more popular.
No doubt. There's almost been a 'backlash' of sorts by some because of the recently popularity ("Lemmings! ). For me, the amount of builds going on there just provided a greater opportunity to see how the THT fared in the 'real world' rather than only being able to rely on published specs (more builders, more results!). After reading 7-8 THT threads & hearing how pleased the builders were with the results, PLUS the low cost of admission, I felt good about jumping onto the THT bandwagon.

Quote:
gperkins_1973 wrote: View Post
I could just about fit two of those in my living room. Would be better if they were 22" wide instead. I thought they were geared for 20hz and above but with alot more spl. Defo can wait to see some graphs mate.

cheers

Graham
According to the THT plans, ..."The cab may be built in various widths. A fifteen loaded cab may be built from 18 to 36 inches wide, using 17 to 35 inch wide panels. A good compromise between the two extremes uses 23.5” wide panels, for minimum waste with 4x8 foot plywood."

So I went with the recommended 'compromise' of 23.5." I almost went for a 27" wide cab— good thing I didnt otherwise I may not have been able to get it through the door!

I'll post some info (graphs) once i master the setup & software.

Kevin
post #10 of 13 Old 03-14-10, 10:42 PM
Senior Shackster

Mikey

This is your first sub build??? Great work man. Looks amazing. I wish my first build looked like that LOL. But I was also 15 when I started building boxes. I Still haven't herd how this type of box design sounds. But have read nothing but good reviews on this style. Good work man.