Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

DIY Sub With SVS ISD Driver

Tags
diy driver isd svs
3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  tomd51 
#1 ·
I'll be posting this in a couple of forums, so I apologize if it's redundant. My initial thought and one I keep coming back to (due to a lack of some pricier tools such as a router and lack of mathematical prowess:scratchhead:) is to purchase a pre-made sub cabinet along w/a strong BASH amp from Parts Express and make a sealed sub as I believe it may be a bit easier for someone in my situation.

I'd like to build a unit as close as possible to the PB12 that's ported, size is not an issue for me and I could get someone to help me w/cutouts of an MDF box, but the actual dimensions and tuning would be difficult not knowing the parameters needed for the ISD driver using WinISD and having read that sealed subs are easier to build for most, this is why I'm leaning in this direction.

I'd actually like to build one that doesn't have quite the extension as my existing 20-39 PCi w/the new NSD driver, but maybe has a bit more output around the 25-30Hz range. I thought going the sealed route might be the best way to achieve this, but I'm not sure if I'd want to go w/a smaller cabinet (1.0 cu ft) or slightly larger (2.0 cu ft). Either way, I believe using a sealed cabinet will need a stronger amp, hence the bump up to the 500w amp.

Any suggestions or ideas on this? Any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks in advance... -TD

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the input, Steve. If Tom was able to do that, it'd be great, however I understand if he's hesitant to do so.

If not, do you have any idea whether I'm on the right track with the 'sealed sub' idea to this point? As I mentioned, I'm a little limited in my skills on this having read up a bit on it but haven't been savvy enough to absorb much... :duh: -TD

#4 ·
Tom has given such advice before - there have been a handful of people who upgraded their SVS drivers and end up wanting to build an enclosure for their old driver. The best idea, as you touched upon, is to try and mimic the original design as closely as possible. He seems willing to point people in the right direction for volume and port dimensions, just not parameters, and really, if he's telling you volume and port info, parameters - on your side of the equation - don't matter. Other companies would probably tell you to **** off, Tom seems pretty cool though.

G
#6 ·
I am one of those SVS upgraders and I have 2 old drivers laying around that I'm going to build a /2 box with. I emailed SVS and sure enough Tom V. replied and was most helpful with regard to volume and port length's and such. I think it speaks volumes about their customer service that they help out folks like us.

Good luck with the project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.