using multiple subs, different size woofers - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Standout Design DSP Axiom Audio

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers - General Discussion
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 8360 - Replies: 16  
Old 03-22-10, 06:56 PM   #11
Elite Shackster
Bronze Supporter

Glen
Since: Mar 2009
West Texas
Re: using multiple subs, different size woofers

As said before, plan on tweaking it a bit if you plan on using more complex low range configurations. You know it can be done, as Mike P and others would attest- just how much tweaking will be necessary is a variable we can't just model and bammo! there it is. I guess a second 18" is out of the question? Otherwise, that would smooth the bottom end, solve some 'issues' of using different drivers, give you loads of headroom, and possibly cost around the same...otherwise, I'd suggest you think about building L/R bass bins to use above the very lowest octaves, especially is you use love music.

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-10, 03:46 AM   #12
Senior Shackster

Jeremy
Since: Jul 2009
CA
I started this thread.

Lets say if I have 2 identical subwoofers, can you guys give me some ideas,
if my placement one of them 5 ft from LP, the other 7ft from LP, the sound will arrive at different times, would it result in distorted bass. My receiver doesn't support adjusting distance for 2 subwoofers so what is your opinion.
Wait a minute, how fast does sound travel, does the bass from 7 ft away arrive only 2ms later than the 5 ft one, that's it?

I don't think we can tell this minute of difference can we, I mean that's 2/1000th of a second difference. The bouncing and standing waves would linger much longer anyway?

Last edited by PoorSignal; 03-25-10 at 03:58 AM..

Old 03-26-10, 02:09 PM   #13
Elite Shackster

Josh
Since: May 2007
Louisville, KY

It'll be fine. I have a room with 4 subs that are about 10ft, 13ft and 2 of them that are about 15 or 16ft away and it's some of the best bass I've ever heard. Bass wavelengths are long and slow and our ears aren't nearly as sensitive to those types of things below 100hz. Also consider that the difference in time arrival between a sub at 5ft away and one at 13ft away is less than 9ms. If you crossover much higher than normal it may be something to worry about.

As you move around a room you are always further from, or closer to one speaker over another. Even if you were to time delay your subs to compensate for the difference in the distances it would only be in a very small area. Any movement away from there at all would throw out of whack your compensation for the original spot.

Old 03-29-10, 01:08 PM   #14
Shackster

Bopster
Since: Feb 2010
Northern Idaho

How well do you think these would play together?

Blue is 3 10in subs
Pink is 2 12in subs

First is with each cabinet being fed 1000w(xmax of 12in cab)
Second is 12in @ 1000w and 10in @ 1200w(xmax of 10in cab)

Are these close enough to work out well?
All speakers are the same brand and type except for size.

Box tuning/size same for both.....high pass at 20Hz and low at 100Hz both cabs.

Thanks

Attachments

Old 08-01-10, 06:51 PM   #15

Since: Aug 2010

Is it possible to use 2 different sized amps with 2 same sized subs? I kept my old amps because the subs had to stay. Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 08-01-10, 09:24 PM   #16
Elite Shackster
Bronze Supporter

Glen
West Texas

Quote:
Npolimou wrote: View Post
Is it possible to use 2 different sized amps with 2 same sized subs? I kept my old amps because the subs had to stay. Any help is greatly appreciated
Shouldn't be a problem unless you're driving a low ohm load that an amp can't handle. As long as you don't mind if an driver is not being used to it's capacity (ie the weaker amp comes short of driving to xmax), no problem. Plenty of people do the same, then as budget/desires allow they might increase at a later date.

The exception is if one amp has hpf and the other has a different freq hpf or none at all.

Old 08-01-10, 09:28 PM   #17
Elite Shackster
Bronze Supporter

Glen
West Texas

Bopster, sorry no one responded to your post sooner. They look very good, and very similar. Looks like you could basically use any combination of those drivers, depending on the planned amps you'll use. I would think the two twelves would cost less, and allow easier/cheaper builds.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers - General Discussion »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »