using multiple subs, different size woofers - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 17 Old 03-22-10, 06:56 PM
Elite Shackster

Glen

Re: using multiple subs, different size woofers

As said before, plan on tweaking it a bit if you plan on using more complex low range configurations. You know it can be done, as Mike P and others would attest- just how much tweaking will be necessary is a variable we can't just model and bammo! there it is. I guess a second 18" is out of the question? Otherwise, that would smooth the bottom end, solve some 'issues' of using different drivers, give you loads of headroom, and possibly cost around the same...otherwise, I'd suggest you think about building L/R bass bins to use above the very lowest octaves, especially is you use love music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 03-25-10, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Lets say if I have 2 identical subwoofers, can you guys give me some ideas,
if my placement one of them 5 ft from LP, the other 7ft from LP, the sound will arrive at different times, would it result in distorted bass. My receiver doesn't support adjusting distance for 2 subwoofers so what is your opinion.
Wait a minute, how fast does sound travel, does the bass from 7 ft away arrive only 2ms later than the 5 ft one, that's it?

I don't think we can tell this minute of difference can we, I mean that's 2/1000th of a second difference. The bouncing and standing waves would linger much longer anyway?

Last edited by PoorSignal; 03-25-10 at 03:58 AM.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-26-10, 02:09 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

It'll be fine. I have a room with 4 subs that are about 10ft, 13ft and 2 of them that are about 15 or 16ft away and it's some of the best bass I've ever heard. Bass wavelengths are long and slow and our ears aren't nearly as sensitive to those types of things below 100hz. Also consider that the difference in time arrival between a sub at 5ft away and one at 13ft away is less than 9ms. If you crossover much higher than normal it may be something to worry about.

As you move around a room you are always further from, or closer to one speaker over another. Even if you were to time delay your subs to compensate for the difference in the distances it would only be in a very small area. Any movement away from there at all would throw out of whack your compensation for the original spot.
post #14 of 17 Old 03-29-10, 01:08 PM
Shackster
Bopster

How well do you think these would play together?

Blue is 3 10in subs
Pink is 2 12in subs

First is with each cabinet being fed 1000w(xmax of 12in cab)
Second is 12in @ 1000w and 10in @ 1200w(xmax of 10in cab)

Are these close enough to work out well?
All speakers are the same brand and type except for size.

Box tuning/size same for both.....high pass at 20Hz and low at 100Hz both cabs.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
using multiple subs, different size woofers-10-12-2.jpg  

using multiple subs, different size woofers-10-12-1.jpg  

post #15 of 17 Old 08-01-10, 06:51 PM

Is it possible to use 2 different sized amps with 2 same sized subs? I kept my old amps because the subs had to stay. Any help is greatly appreciated
post #16 of 17 Old 08-01-10, 09:24 PM
Elite Shackster

Glen

Quote:
Npolimou wrote: View Post
Is it possible to use 2 different sized amps with 2 same sized subs? I kept my old amps because the subs had to stay. Any help is greatly appreciated
Shouldn't be a problem unless you're driving a low ohm load that an amp can't handle. As long as you don't mind if an driver is not being used to it's capacity (ie the weaker amp comes short of driving to xmax), no problem. Plenty of people do the same, then as budget/desires allow they might increase at a later date.

The exception is if one amp has hpf and the other has a different freq hpf or none at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #17 of 17 Old 08-01-10, 09:28 PM
Elite Shackster

Glen

Bopster, sorry no one responded to your post sooner. They look very good, and very similar. Looks like you could basically use any combination of those drivers, depending on the planned amps you'll use. I would think the two twelves would cost less, and allow easier/cheaper builds.