Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Sonotube thickness?

6K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  davepete 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm looking into building a sub using sonotube. I checked out the options at Menards (the only local home center) and found the only thing they stock is a Menards-branded tube. Unfortunately, the largest diameter they stock is 12", totally worthless. Special order for anything larger. Also, the thickness of the material was only about 1/8". Seemed quite thin. I'm wondering if real Sonotube is thicker than this. How thick is it? Also, has anyone gotten Sonotube mail order? If so, where did you order it from? I'll be checking local lumberyards to see if anyone stocks larger tube, but for the moment I'm assuming I'll have to mail-order it.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Dave

#2 ·
It comes in various thicknesses, but yeah, 1/8" won't cut it :) - my 28" diameter tube is 5/16" thick, that should be plety. Your best bet is to look in the yellow pages under concrete or concrete forms. Ask for cardboard concrete forms. It should be pretty widely available in most decent-sized cities. It won't always be Sonotube either, that's just one brand name.

#3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, Steve, I hadn't thought about checking the concrete companies. I probably should've. :doh: Just taking a quick glance at the yellow pages, it doesn't look like it should be a problem finding something.

I suspected the 1/8th inch thickness wasn't normal. I've heard people say the tubes were thin, but I figured an eighth of an inch just couldn't be enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.