Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Project Tools and Tips

81K views 36 replies 27 participants last post by  colofan 
#1 ·
This is where we will list tools we use and recommend for the DIY speaker and sub enclosures. You may also wish to post where to purchase the tool and/or the best price you have found.

Please do not ask questions about the tools in this thread... simply list them and if necessary explain what it is best used for. If you have questions about a particular tool, please start a new thread... otherwise questions posted here will be moved or deleted.

Please also copy your post to this same thread in DIY Speakers... thanks!

#3 ·
Re: DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Enclosure Tools

Jasper Circle Jigs

Sure, you can make your own trammel to cut holes with your router, but why bother? Jasper Audio (Fellow Houstonians!) made a great jig already. I own the Model 200 and the Model 400. If you only get one, get the Model 200. The jigs are calibrated to be used with a 1/4" straight bit, but any size will do. You'll just have to adjust your cut accordingly.

Only use the Jasper Jig with a plunge router.

The Model 200 will cut circles in 1/16" increments from 2-1/4" to 18-3/16" in diameter.

Model 200

The Model 400 is perfect for tweeters and small midranges, cutting holes from 1" to 7-1/2".

Model 400

#4 ·

Clamps clamps clamps...
I own just 4 of these and they were enough to build my Natalie P's without any screws...In fact these clamps WERE my screws
The more you own the better

Home depot has these cheap

#5 ·

Clamps, most definitely!

Bessey K-Body clamp

The K-Body by Bessey is really nice because the clamping surfaces are large, flat and are parallel. The K-Body is perfect for clamping panels at right angles.

Rockler's "Sure-foot" pipe clamp

The "Sure-foot" has features like a broader base that doubles as a hanger when storing the clamp. I also sprung for the zinc plated pipes because the black oxide used on regular Home Depot type pipes react to woods like oak, leaving a black mark. Plus, they look good.
I also have the clamp pads and Rockler's brand new EZ-Clutch that aids in removing the clamps.

You don't need tricked out pipe clamps like mine to have the same results. Order up some inexpensive pipe clamps from Harbor Freight and go to Home Depot or Lowes to get your pipe. That'll serve you well.

#6 ·

Here are some additional tools I'd consider getting:

Beginner
Table Saw -- a circular saw would get the job done, but a table saw is just so much better/easier.
Multimeter -- just one of those things you're going to need to be sure that your electronics are working correctly. This is one of the better sites I've found offering advice for a new DIY person. It's geared towards headphone amps, but the issues are pretty much the same. If you take a look at the first movie he's got, he makes suggestions for different types of equipment to buy, including multimeters.
Soldering Iron -- same site offers advice on buying an iron and has some excellent instructional videos.
Loudspeaker Design Cookbook by Vance Dickason -- a great reference book for the DIY speaker builder. There are other books out there that are good too, I just have experience with this one.

Intermediate
REW/TrueRTA -- It's kind of ironic, I'm a mod here but still haven't used REW yet. Anyway, some sort of testing software will be needed. REW is free and, I've been told, does a good of taking all of the relevant measurements needed during testing. TrueRTA is relatively inexpensive and has been recommended many times in the past. If you're going to buy TrueRTA, just go for the top of the line version -- you're just cheating yourself if you don't.
SPL Meter -- Frankly, EVERYONE with a sound system should have a RS SPL Meter. There are just too many reasons to have one.
Laptop/External SoundCard -- You'll need some sort of computer to run REW/TrueRTA. An external sound card will also be required as the built in soundcards are terrible. A soundcard I've seen recommended is this one by M-Audio, and this one as a step down.

Advanced
Woofer Tester -- Wanna get the true T/S parameters of your specific driver? This is the tool for you. You CAN get the same information with a mic and keeping a log and performing some calculations, but this is SO much easier.
Calibrated Mic -- Probably the best inexpensive microphone would be the Behringer ECM8000. The RS meter can also be used, but the ECM is (much?) more accurate.

#7 ·

Sonnie,

When you get tired of being completely covered in MDF dust go to toolcrib.com and order a DeWalt DW621 plunge router with dust collection. It was one of the best purchases I ever made. As a matter of fact, I wore out the first one I had and now need to buy a new one. The other DeWalt I have has ****** dust collection so I'm going to pick up another 621.

#11 ·

I use the Porter Cable 7529 plunge router with the vacuum port. Router bits 1/4" upspiral for cutting out the speaker holes, 5/8" mortise bit to cut speaker inset, 3/4 round over for the baffles and finally a 1" laminate trim bit to clean up in pieces that are to proud. If you veneer you might need a 1/4" bearingless trim bit. All these should be in new carbide not recycled carbide.

I recommend 36" bar clamps as they are pretty good for most projects. Those 48" are just awkward and get in the way walking around your project. I don't like ratchet style clamps as I have broken so many of them.

I like Titebond 3 glue as it has a longer set up time so you can nudge them into place, especially those big panels. One man shop so to speak makes assembly a lot slower with one set of hands. It cost a little more than Titebond 2 but to me it is worth it.

A good table saw is just great to have repeatability and speed of process. I have built 7 boxes now and I wouldn't want to do any without one.

If you don't have a drill press get one of those little jigs that fit on the end of your hand drill to give you perpendicular holes. You will need that for using that Jasper jig.

I don't use screws or nails as the glue is much stronger than the MDF or plywood.

A good 12 or 14.4 volt drill is great to have. I have a Hitachi 14.4 and I really like it. I have had Dewalt in the past and was disappointed in them. They just did not hold up.

Thats all I got on the top of my head for now. Cheers.

G
#12 ·

I recently started using a Kreg pocket hole jig for speaker cabinet assembly. I now use less clamps and can build cabinets faster (I don’t have to wait for the glue to dry before moving on to the next glue joint). Pocket hole screws self tap, are offered in various lengths/sizes and come in coarse and fine threads types (the coarse threads are for man made material like MDF). Plus pocket hole screws are stronger than a butt or dado joint.

The Kreg jig is foolproof and is offered in a couple of different configurations ranging from $20 to $140. There is a system selling for about $60 that has everything one would need to build cabinets. One thing for sure… it doesn’t take long to spend way more than this for a couple of descent Bessey clamps!

Attachments

#14 ·
Box Builder Construction Tips, Techniques, How To's & Homemade Jigs

Hello guys,

I thought it might be fun [and useful] to have a thread that deals with the many aspects of DIY box construction...especially things that that can be done relatively cheaply yielding excellent results.

To start things off, I'd like to share a tip about screws and drywall screws in particular - don't use them! For securing your MDF or plywood panels, there is something 10 times better! What you want are fine thread square drive trim screws. These screws have very small heads [like a finish nail] and totally eliminate any need to counter sink. Pre-drill your holes 1/8" and they will countersink themselves leaving the smallest possible screw hole for patching over. Below is a pic of what they look like:

PS: you may find these at your local Home Depot or Lowe's. Don't ask, look. The guy working the aisle probably won't have a clue if they even have them...:dontknow:

Warmon -

Attachments

#16 ·
Re: Box Builder Construction Tips, Techniques, How To's & Homemade Jigs

This thread should be a STICKY.
I'm building my first SonoSub. Reading the posts it seems everyone uses a router with circle cutter to cut their tops and bottoms. I ended up using a jigsaw to rough cut them after scribing the circles. Then routing the edge clean. This is alot faster than using the router alone. Alot cheaper too as the router bits are tortured when cuting a groove vs just removing a bit of material from the edge and having somewhere for the dust to go.

#17 ·
Re: Box Builder Construction Tips, Techniques, How To's & Homemade Jigs

When using a router with MDF I use "up spiral" bits. They eject the cuttings from the groove and eliminate most of the " cutting the cuttings" which is hard on the bit.
http://www.freud-tools.com/freudupspirr.html

G
#18 ·

I use the model X-305 for holes up to 12" and up to 17" with the X-425 version. The shield controls the dust and acts like a portable drill press keeping the hole cutter aligned perpendicular to the work piece. The blades cut well through wood, MDF, plywood, OSB, and even fiber-cement board (when I installed some outdoor speakers in a soffit around the house.

Safe and easy to adjust for the exact size needed for the cut-out. I even used the X-305 to help a friend make holes for ceiling speakers in his house with its lathe and plaster ceilings. Perfect holes and no worries about cracking the plaster.

I got mine at www.holepro.com

Attachments

#21 ·

I just got one of these, Why did I wait so long? quick straight cuts. heaps quicker than using a circular saw and straight edge.

Table Machine Tool Wheel Furniture

It will also do angles, bevels and cutout notches, etc etc.

#23 ·

Its by a company called triton, I don't know if they sell in the USA but I am sure there is an equivalent.

Triton has a good name in aus. for there accuracy and quality. they are the top of the range for handy men and diy. Even some buisnesses use their gear.

www.triton.com.au

#24 · (Edited)

Is there a good "beginner" router one would suggest over all the others? I'm not a stranger to power tools but frankly haven't ever had to work with a router so I don't know what to expect. I may just keep my eyes open at the pawn shops, yard sales, and what not...I'm not in any major hurry to buy a router but I'd like to start gathering tools up so I can build me a sonotube or something else perhaps.

I have a roto zip...will they work with your typical circle jig?

#25 ·

Roto-zip tools are definitely not heavy duty enough for big holes in MDF.

You want a plunge router, some come with plunge and fixed bases, and you can just swap depending on the job you're doing.

More horsepower is better.

If you see one in a pawn shop, google some reviews before buying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.