Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Popcorn Noise

Tags
noise popcorn
5K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  mandtra 
#1 ·
Hey, the sub in my Z-5500 blew the other day and I replaced it with a sony xplod 1200watt subwoofer I had laying around. It was sounding great till I watched Iron Man 2. In high bass scenes :hissyfit::dontknow:the subwoofer would make a popping sound like its popping popcorn. Its very annoying. What can I do

#7 ·
I don't think it has any shorts because I hooked my friends sub woofer from the original Z-5500 Theater system to mine and it worked fine. The Sony however does the same thing in both system....Also I ruled out the Sony having a problem because I hooked it up in my car and It worked great

#14 ·
Your tube is 3 cu.ft. tuned to just over 27 hz. The sub doesn't model to bad considering it only has 6.2 mm of Xmax and the amp has a subsonic filter at 33 hz. The problem is you are driving a 4 ohm sub with an amp that was designed for an 8 ohm load. The popping sound you hear is the amp telling you it's past its limits, if you don't ease up on it it will fail.

Text Line Slope Font Technology

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.