Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Eazy Horn Spreadsheet for Dum... Everyone ;)

22K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  mhtplsh 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is an Excel spreadsheet that will help you design a few different things in Hornresp. It will model a single/multiple driver horn in TH, Nd, and OD configurations, in 3 or 4 sections. It will also do a BP type of quarter-wave resonator, and T-TQWT.

The following few posts will show how to use the program, and what to expect.

Before I forget, let's thank Marshal Leach, Richard Long, and Tom Danley. They did all the real work. :cool:
The majority of the math I used can be found here: http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/papers/HornPaper/HornPaper.pdf
Thanks go out to David McBean as well. Without his program there would be no need for this.

As always, questions and comments are welcome.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
General Use

I tried to make the program as easy to use as possible. To that end all cells that the user can change are colored yellow. All normal outputs are light blue cells with dark blue writing.

Everything you generally need to use the program is shown in the picture in the first post. I tried to centrally locate as much functionality as possible.

The first thing you want to do is to input the needed Driver parameters. You can find these cells here:

You can use the dropdown menu to pick a previously saved Driver, or enter a new Driver by filling in the yellow cells. There are around 60 driver pre-entered into the Data Bass right now. You can then click the Save Driver button to save it into the sheet. If you need to change something just alter the yellow cell in question. If you want to save the new change, just click the Save Driver/Changes button again.

If you scroll down some you will find a new area to enter even more Driver info. It is partly there to allow you to create a detailed driver data base for your own use, and some of the info will be needed in future updates.

Some have found the parameter inputs a little lacking, as there are some major parameters not input. The reason for this is that the sheet calculates them to the right of the main section for you. ;)

#3 · (Edited)
General Use 2

Now it is time to start setting up the enclosure. This is done here:

All three input can be input manually, or you can input two and calculate the third.

The first parameter is the Horn Flare. The is the "m" parameter from the Leach paper. It determines the rate of change of the horns area as it moves between the throat and mouth. The specified range to the right is the range in which the Reactance Annulling math should be correct. As you get further way from this range it gets less accurate. This is were Hornresp would be used to alter things slightly to pull things back inline.

The Low Corner -3dB is just what you thing it is. This is the -3dB point below the Low Corner. It is most accurate with THs, as that is what everything is geared for. With the other alignments you will find the LC a little below this figure.

High Cutoff Freq. is the -3dB figure on the high side. This pertains to the horn loading, so is more inline with power response.

Below these three you see two cells named fL and fO. These are used to set the horns Reactance Annulment. fL is based off you Low Corner. You alter the Horn Flare and High Cutoff to adjust fO to equal fL as close as you feel is needed.

Further down you will find two buttons, Find Flare and Find HC Freq. Find Flare takes the LC and HC you input above, and finds the Horn Flare that fits them. Find HC Freq uses the LC and Horn Flare to find the correct HC for the pair.

#4 · (Edited)
General Use 3

It's now time to start looking at the enclosure outputs (Hornresp Inputs.)

If you notice the default Horn Flare Profile in the center is None. This is a hold over from the first versions of the sheet. It was designed to allow you to get into the Loudspeaker Wizard as fast as possible, and as such it gives you 1's in the cells that HR will auto calculate for you from the others. The new version of HR may have me taking this option out. :eek:

You can change this by clicking into the None cell. This will allow you to pick the Hornresp Con, Exp, or Par options.

If you look back to the left at the Compression cells, and it is higher than you want it (or lower,) you can also click on the None there to engage the Compression Override. This will alter the horn parameters for you.

The Vented Sub outputs are there for a quick comparison/reality check on your horns in Hornresp.

The Custom HYP Flare Calc is there to allow you to pick your own distances between point with the Length parameter. It allows you to enter a Width, and outputs a Height as well if you want to do some thing outside of Hornresp.

#5 · (Edited)
General Use 4

Just a note...

If you are expecting something like this:

and you end up with this:

The compression is to high for that driver. 2 is too much for some. ;)

The really raised Low Corner, and it's thick triangle shape is a dead giveaway.

On the flip side, go to low and you will get this.

This is not a normal occurrence though.

#6 · (Edited)
General Use 5

Sometimes you can get something like this to happen:

It happens when you start trying to tune an enclosure with a high LC Freq.

If you are doing a Nd/Od horn just input the parameters, and move on.

If you are after a TH the horn cutoff is too high, and the physical horn path is not long enough to place the Rear Tap the right distance from the throat. If you really want to make this combo work you will have to input it "as is" in Hornresp, and play with the Loudspeaker Wizard.

In the T-TQWT you can just substitute 1cm for the negative number. I'll have it automatically do that in a future update.

The Vented Sub is just tuned too high for the enclosure space.

The 1/4 Wavelength Horn is always good. ;)

#10 · (Edited)
I have been getting some questions about the AE drivers, and why there is no dimensional info on them.

It's because the info is a pain to get too, as it is not listed with the driver parameters themselves. I went back and added in the easy to find models info. I'll post a picture here, and add a zip file. You can either copy paste from the zip, or manually input them from the pic.

If anyone has the remaining missing parameters please feel free to post them here.

Attachments

#12 ·
That is odd. The attachments should download with no problems.

I just rechecked on my end, and they all work in IE, FF, and Opera for me.

Try right clicking the attachment, and selecting Copy Link Location. Then paste it into the address bar, and hit Enter. Now choose Save File, and you should be good to go. If not, you are having a major configuration issue.

#14 · (Edited)
Hey, what OS are you using?

I just fired up a new Win7 laptop, and it will not allow me to download the link in any browser. :scratch:

If I try to Save Target As when right clicking the link it tries to save a gif. :coocoo:

It seems to be this one link specifically. You can find the file in other places if you can't get it to work here, just google "Easy Horn Spreadsheet"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.