Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

EP-2500 problem, not loud enough

5K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  brucek 
#1 · (Edited)
So i just recieved a used EP-2500 from someone on ebay. looks in perfect condition and performs just fine except for the fact that it is not loud at all.

I have it hooked into two subs, a 8" 4Ohm sub (ported), and my FI Audio Q, wired to a 2Ohm load (not in a box but just thought i would try).

I hooked it into my Arcam AVR300 via the sub out port. I have both knobs cranked and both subs connected (to their own channel) and i get some bass. not nearly as much as i want. It seems as though the amp is not getting enough voltage and thus i need to boost it all the way at the amp and in the arcam setup menu i set the sub to +10db.

Is my arcam not outputting enough voltage to get the output in power i want? or is there some sort of adjustment inside of the amp that i can turn it up with? How do i get this setup to work?

Thanks for the help!

Edit: Looks like my Arcam outputs 2Vrms at 0db gain on the analog outputs, which is what i have the sub hooked into, the analog Sub output.

See less See more
#2 ·
The EP2500 can work with either a -10dB setting or a +4dB setting.

You may find that it's set to +4dB as normally used in "pro" environments. For driving from an AV amp, you'll want to move to the -10dB setting

This is done with the DIP switches on the back of the amp. Follow the painted instructions on the back panel. Ignore the markings on the switchblock itself

If you know for certain that the amp is OK, and your signal is still too low, even on the -10dB setting, you'll need a level shifter, such as the Art Cleanbox It also handles the RCA to XLR conversion for you.

Note that there's also a Cleanbox II, which is just used for stopping earth loops. That's not the one you want.

#5 ·
The EP2500 can work with either a -10dB setting or a +4dB setting.

You may find that it's set to +4dB as normally used in "pro" environments. For driving from an AV amp, you'll want to move to the -10dB setting

This is done with the DIP switches on the back of the amp. Follow the painted instructions on the back panel. Ignore the markings on the switchblock itself
What you mean by that? where do i select this +4 or -10 setting?

#3 ·
I had exactly the same problem with low output from my stereo preamp into the EP2500.

So I just boosted the input to my EP2500 by around 6dB using my CX2310 active crossover.

The twin attenuator knobs on the EP2500 are both fully clockwise.
(They aren't volume controls even though they seem to behave rather like volume controls)

Double check the DIP switches on the back aren't set for low pass filters or any other unwanted facilities. (like bridging)

#4 · (Edited)
i can get some good volume out of it if i really crank it up.

Would the Feedback Destroyer Pro also allow me to boost the signal?
Eventually i wanna EQ my room and what not. I know that most have the problem connecting to REW, how hard is it to manually do it? test with REW and then add the filters manually?

Thanks for the help, i got worried for a bit there that it would be something i couldent fix.

#6 ·
You cant change the input sensitivity on the EP series amps. Not with the dip switches or any other thing on the amp. The EP1500 needs +3.4dBu and the EP2500 needs +4dBu to use full power. If your receiver does not have the voltage to match that than your going to need to get a Cleanbox. It will boost the signal to a +4dBu and give you the full voltage needed to drive your proamp to full power. BTW Im also using a Cleanbox to drive my EP1500 from an Onkyo 600 receiver with great results.

#7 ·
on the back of the Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro DSP1124P it looks like it has a -10 +4db button on the back of it. Would this unit do what i want as i figure just one box is better then two. also if it can EQ and can boost the signal then its what i need.

Anyone know if it can do both?

#8 ·
on the back of the Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro DSP1124P it looks like it has a -10 +4db button on the back of it. Would this unit do what i want
No, those switches are for operating level, not gain. The BFD is a unity gain device.

The EP1500 needs +3.4dBu and the EP2500 needs +4dBu to use full power.
Those are extremely low levels for a PRO amp. Likely Behringer does this to satisfy most retail and PRO equipment. PRO inputs would just dial down the input attenuator. Generally receivers will output 1 to 2 voltsRMS and should be able to drive an amp that has a max input of +4dBu. That's only ~1.25voltsRMS.

brucek

#9 ·
My apologies

I was getting the EP2500 mixed up with the BFD.

The switches for +4dB / -10dB are on the BFD, not the amp.

I run my AV into the BFD (-10dB setting) and then onto an EP2500. The level is high enough for the yellow and red LEDs on the BFD to flicker.

sorry for the confusion

Collo

#10 ·
Make sure you don't have the hi-pass filter dip switches set wrong. As Collo stated, don't follow the OFF/ON above the dip switches, rather follow the labeling. If I'm remembering correctly... "OFF" on above the dip switches is actually "ON". It that is set to 50Hz then it could easily cause you to think you have no bass.

#11 · (Edited)
So i think i have come to the conclusion that the bass is there and strong, but with the knobs turned all the way up (atleast music wise). which i dont like as i like to continuously vary my bass settings. so that i can turn the sub up and show it off a bit without having to turn the mains up that loud.

what do i need? the clean box looks like it would do it.

Edit: well i tested a movie and was disappointed. definetly needs to output more power.

#13 ·
Sweet, thanks for the info.

one last question, on the cleanbox see that it is listed that the input rca is -10db and the XLR on the other side is +4db. will the signal be changed just by that change of "standards" so it would be +14db louder then it is now?

Thanks.

#14 · (Edited)
it is listed that the input rca is -10db and the XLR on the other side is +4db. will the signal be changed just by that change of "standards" so it would be +14db louder then it is now?
In general yes but there is also a dBV versus dBu conversion going on from consumer level -10 dBV to pro audio level +4 dBu. The Cleanbox actually has a gain control on it. Mine is set about halfway.

#15 ·
Thanks!

one final thing, when i get a cable to hook the cleanbox up to my ep2500 is it a standard XLR male on one end and XLR female on the other? I just have not seen any pics of the XLR side of the box to gauge exactly what i need.

my EP 2500 has a female input xlr.

Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.