Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Using passive radiators...

2K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  Mike P. 
#1 ·
When using passive radiators, is it best to use the same driver design as the main powered sub? If a person chose a pr with a different makeup of cone and/or surround material or xmax rating, would it be inclined to have ill effects, by not reacting seamlessly with the main driver? I know about limited xmax will limit on how much power you can put to it. Is it possible to add more mass weight to compensate for lower excursion prs? I never used them,but am thinking of implementing them on a new build.

#2 ·
When using passive radiators, is it best to use the same driver design as the main powered sub? If a person chose a pr with a different makeup of cone and/or surround material or xmax rating, would it be inclined to have ill effects, by not reacting seamlessly with the main driver?
As long as the PR has the parameters that meet the specific application it will work.

Is it possible to add more mass weight to compensate for lower excursion prs?

Adding more mass only lowers the tuning frequency.

What driver are you thinking of for a new build?

#6 ·
the maelstrom 18 is in a 6.5 cu ft sealed box with the recommended amount of poly fill. I tried with and without polyfill and left it in only took a portion of it out and had better results. I am using a QSC RMX2450 amp, and this thing does not even get close to max excursion. I estimate cone travel of10mm one way.

#8 ·
Yes the amp is briged at 4ohms with the gains all the way on channel1 . when I crank it up, the amp will start to clip before even getting near max excursion. Which I do not understand, with 2400watts pouring to this driver. Or do I need a bigger amp to get the most of this box/driver combo?

#12 ·
#13 ·
out of curiosity, if I have my system volume up and the clip lights start to flash, I am getting full power from my amp and need to back off volume just a little until the clip light quits flashing right? If so by changing from the cleanbox to the sampson s-convert should cure what I am missing on the lower end. Has anyone checked the frequency response on the s-convert as well, like someone did with the art? Also my onkyo has a sub eq where @20hz and 40hz, I could boost 6db at 20, and compensate the rest from there going negative in the higher regions and setting my sub out signal hotter from+2 to say +6?

#14 ·
I'm assuming the problem is a receiver/amp voltage mismatch. But roll off or not, the Art Cleanbox should have taken care of that. Yet the result is your amp is clipping and you state the cone excursion is minimal. The HPF aren't turned on and you are running is bridged mode. I'm at a loss.

Does your receiver have Audyssey EQ?

#16 ·
signal lights are green and present when any bass is introduced to the media played, the red lights are the clip signal indicators that warn you to back off. If clip limiter is on, is it ok to let the clip light flash occasionally without risking distortion problems?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.