How to build a powered subwoofer - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers - General Discussion
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 12773 - Replies: 14  
Old 02-14-12, 02:46 PM   #1
Elite Shackster

Since: Dec 2011
I started this thread.
How to build a powered subwoofer

I have looked into building a sub myself however I do not know where to begin. What parts do I get? What will make it have a low frequency etc. Also by the time I am done with buying parts to build won't I have spent around the same as buying a commercial sub?

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-12, 04:28 PM   #2
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi
Since: Jun 2009
Adelaide, SA
Re: How to build a powered subwoofer

Starting a thread in the DIY section of the forum is a great start to your sub build. So other questions you need to answer before we get started would be:

How much do you want to spend or what is your budget for this build?

Will this be used primarily for HT or music?

And what is the biggest size cabinet you want to build?

These should let everyone know your thoughts and ideas ad we can move from there.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.

FS18 Sound 15" W750 drivers

Old 02-14-12, 04:37 PM   #3
Elite Shackster

I started this thread.

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
Starting a thread in the DIY section of the forum is a great start to your sub build. So other questions you need to answer before we get started would be:

How much do you want to spend or what is your budget for this build?

Will this be used primarily for HT or music?

And what is the biggest size cabinet you want to build?

These should let everyone know your thoughts and ideas ad we can move from there.
I can spend around 500 but not sure if building one is cheaper.

The primary use is 90% home theater.

I am not sure of size cabinet but I am looking at a 12 inch sub.

Old 02-14-12, 04:52 PM   #4
Elite Shackster

bambino
Since: Feb 2010
Iowa

With that budget and doing a DIY i'm sure you could build something that will out perform a store bought sub. Others will chime in and give great advice as far as the sub to use also the correct amp also give you specs on what size and how to build your cabinet. Thats what makes this forum so great.

Old 02-14-12, 06:07 PM   #5
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi
Adelaide, SA

Just as Bambino said you can definitely build a nice DIY sub for 500 that will easily outperform your store bought subwoofer.

What sub were you looking at buying?

[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.

Old 02-14-12, 08:07 PM   #6
Shackster

Since: Jan 2012
Whittier,CA

I look forward to following this thread. I too am just starting to research building a sub for a friend. His budget is $400firm. I will be poking around all the previous builds to see if one fits my bill. The box size for my build wont have much limitation. Not HUGE (like my HSU VTF-15H) but something closer to the size of an SVS PB-12NSD would be ok.

I had been considering a Peerless XXLS-12 & BASH 500 amp. That driver is almost identical to the PB-NSD at $249 from PE. The amp is $181 i think. Add MDF & your right at about $500. So i was then thinking the BASH 300 for $114 is better. I can get MDF cheap so thats closer to my $400 budget.

Any thoughts on these parts? It should perform like the SVS PB-12 NSD but half the cost. Worth it? Can we do better or cheaper?

I read about an Infinity Reference 1260w build that runs about $250-$300. Any thoughts on that driver?

This info is just from a little digging ive done. So they are more like questions than recommendations.

This is my first post here. Looking forward to hearing from you guys!! THANKS!!
(not trying to hijack just adding to it)

Old 02-14-12, 10:55 PM   #7
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb
Since: Aug 2010
Calgary, Canada

Quote:
asere wrote: View Post
I have looked into building a sub myself however I do not know where to begin.
You've already begun here

Quote:
What parts do I get?
Well, you'll need

- A driver or two
- An Amplifier (some amps will drive two drivers)
- probably 2 sheets of MDF (or Plywood though it's more expensive), maybe 4 if you do dual subs off one amp
- miscillaneous wood-working tools, screws, adhesives, etc. A router and a table saw are most useful, though some skill with a jigsaw might cut it (no pun intended! lol). large clamps never hurt anyone. And of course, there's a matter of finishing... do you want a wood veneer, vinyl laminate wrap, or a spray paint finish?

Quote:
What will make it have a low frequency etc.
Three major factors

1) Amplifier power will move the driver
2) The driver as a piston will move air
3) A resonator may reduce the driver's motion and "substitute" itself, and thus also move air.

An example of a resonator is a vent. It's a mass of air. It's "tuned" to a given frequency band. So when the driver is stimulated by the amplifier, the resonator will create the lowest frequencies.

There are two main types of resonators...

- Helmholtz Resonators
- Quarter-wave resonators

and there are also speakers with no resonator (sealed). Sealed will have the smallest box size requirements, but you'll sacrifice some output/extension.

Of Helmholz resonators, the main types are Vents/Ports and Passive Radiators. They're both masses of air loaded by internal box pressure.

Of Quarter-wave resonators, the main types would be Quarter Wave Tubes, Tapped Horn, Front Loaded Horn, Backloaded Horn. They use internal standing waves and impedance matching to produce deep output. The QWTs (and Tapered-QWTs) will be about the size of a large vented or passive radiator alignment, and the horns will be notably larger.

Never mind the details of HOW they work, though. What you need to figure out is what you're willing to live with from a size and weight perspective, for the budget you've got. In a perfect world, you could just get eight high-end 18" drivers, seal them, EQ them, and call it a day but that's not cheap. So first you need to figure out your total budget. Second you need to figure out how big you're willing to go. That will help us decide on appropriate driver/alignment combinations.

Quote:
Also by the time I am done with buying parts to build won't I have spent around the same as buying a commercial sub?
For the cost of a single (well-chosen) 12" DIY driver ($150-200) and a 300 or 500w amp you can effectively make something that can run with a $1000 commercial sub. Will there be a lot of small costs? Yes. But I'd still wager on the DIY build.

The #1 reason for this, is that it's not economical for manufacturers to make large, heavy subwoofers.

Don't underestimate us! Whether it be time, space, or alternate realities, they mean nothing to us! We will pierce the path and methods you've chosen! That is who we are!

Old 02-14-12, 11:53 PM   #8
Elite Shackster

I started this thread.

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
Just as Bambino said you can definitely build a nice DIY sub for 500 that will easily outperform your store bought subwoofer.

What sub were you looking at buying?
I was looking at the SVS P12 NSD

Old 02-15-12, 01:10 AM   #9
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi
Adelaide, SA

PB12-NSD?

Old 02-15-12, 07:55 AM   #10
Elite Shackster

I started this thread.

How good/bad are the Lava brand subs? I see the ad on home theater shack.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers - General Discussion »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »