Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

RTA of two Obsidian 18's in a HT room

Tags
18 obsidian rta
3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BD55 
#1 ·
We finally took measurements this weekend of a local install we did using two Obsidian 18's in ported enclosures. Keep in mind these are the Obsidian 18's designed for car audio applications. The Stereo Integrity HT subwoofers that I have been posting about are designed specifically for this application but the user wanted these subs for his room that he watches a lot of movies in and the Obsidian woofers offer a lot of energy/output right in the bandwidth of most explosions.

Each sub is in a 6 ft^3 ported enclosure tuned to 26 Hz. The customer had the enclosures finished in thinly padded leather which turned out fantastic! I'll try to go by the customer's house and get some pictures of the enclosures pretty soon.

We used our XTZ Room Analyzer to take the measurements. For those of you who are not aware of the XTZ analyzer I highly suggest doing a Google search for it and reading about it. It is the most comprehensive RTA and room analyzing tool we have ever used for the price. Actually the price of it is very deceiving. You get a LOT for your money!

Here are the measured results. First we have the RTA of the room. Dead flat to 25 Hz with the F3 of his system being around 22 Hz. And yes, it measures down to 16 Hz. :) You can see the rising response basically down to tuning. Very typical of the Obsidian 18" subwoofers. Again, a perfect match for what this customer wanted. Note the mic is directional and I did not have it firing at either of the front towers when I took this RTA measurement. That is why the top end doesn't look too hot, haha.

And here are the results of the Room Analyzer. The peak resonance of his room/system is 38 Hz which is very deep. The graph should be self-explanatory - red areas are where there is a lot of energy and the blue areas are where there is less energy. The plot is a spectral decay plot with the bandwidth on the left side and time goes from left to right. This is a very good tool for finding your room nodes and seeing where to EQ your system for a flat response. It even gives you suggestions in a box to the bottom right. You can move the enclosures around the room and see what position works best for you in your listening position, etc.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.