Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Sonosub Port Question

Tags
port sonosub
4K views 30 replies 3 participants last post by  Mike P. 
#1 ·
I have a Velodyne EQ Max 12 sub I'm not using and want to try my hand at making it into a sono sub.
Input the sizes and tuning frequency I am looking for.
At 6 cu/f volume
Tuned to 18Hz
1'4 diameter
6" sono tub port

Everything works but my question is what should the port resonance and box top resonance be at.

#6 ·
Well pulled the old sub apart.
Driver has 12" outside measurement
5 1/4 mounting depth
Weighs 8.6 Ibs

How do I figure out or add in the amp volume to the program? I want to mount most of the amp inside the tube.
I've already cut all my pieces as well. For size I've keep the soon tube cut to 5' long.

#19 ·
Ok well I decided to start over as I have left over sonotube, MDF, paint and never covered the other in carpet yet.

Couple of questions

1) So based on using a 16" tube and 6" port, what size of tube would work best?

2) going to order a new 12" sub in the next day or so, using the velodyne amp. Would the TC epic be a much better step up.? Would a CCS SDX12 compare to that? Want to keep the sub around $200 as I'm going to order some 15's when my house gets closers to completion.

#26 ·
Thanks that's good news. I'll be ordering it tomorrow.

As for tuning. With a 16" sonotube and 6" sonotube for a port hole, what should I looking for as for size and htz. I will most likely be using two layers of 1/2"carpet underlay for lining the inside of the tube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.