Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Rythmik DirecServo

14K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  Exocer 
#1 ·
This is my best sub. I've decided to go with the standard recommended enclosure size of 2cu.ft. sealed. This has to be the most musical sub i've ever heard. This sub is very faithful to the original recording in the sense that it finesses bass where it needs to and really punches hard if this type of bass is available in the original signal.

One thing I really like about this kit is the amplifier. It has adjustable Q and extension presets along with continuously variable phase control from 0-180 degress and crossover knob allowing any crossover settings from 40-160hz. In my small room I generally leave it at the high Q setting (emulates a .3 Q) and 28hz extension setting. Even with this mode I get strong output below 20hz with headroom.

The DS12TC has a very low LE which comes in handy when using higher crossover settings. This has got to be the most articulate addition to my HT to date. This sub is actually what spurred my interest in DIY'ing mains for 2-channel.

After my next DIY project is done my plan is to build another sealed Rythmik kit to co-locate and gain 6-db of clean output. Two of these would really loaf around in my den :D If you have any question let me know.

Also I have a link to the nearfield measurements i've taken.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofers/443-my-sealed-12-nearfield-measurements.html

See less See more
#5 ·
Definitely not finished :blush: but thanks ;)

Its your typical class A/B amp, rated for 380Watts RMS @ 4Ohm. What I love about it is its adjustable Q, and extension settings. Both of these features are cool to have. The enclosure measures ~ 2cu.ft. Good for about 100db @ 1w/1m without EQ.

#7 ·
I haven't really compared it to much else besides my 15" subs. It still remains the king of articulation compared to all 3 of the subs i've had a chance to compare it too.

1. Avalanche 15" sealed 3.9ft^3 - Provides a significant amount more output than the Rythmik but falls short in articulation. This is my current HT sub

2. Tumult 15d2 sealed (same box) - Provided even more output than the Ava15 and ALMOST kept up with the rythmik in the extension arena without EQ. Again, music sounded more natural through the Rythmik than this sub.

3. Velodyne DPS-10 - Clearly outshined by the Rythmik in extension,musical performance and output below 40hz. Actually,the only place i'd give the DPS-10 an advantage is output around 40hz and slightly above, which I didn't need an abundance of with my listening habits.

Will it beat your SVS PB 12 plus/2 in output? No way!

Its still my dedicated music-only sub with HT capability on tap in case its necessary. It sounds fantastic with any music i've thrown at it. Sometimes it blends so well I forget its on.

#11 ·
Sonnie, It can act much more like a true Linkwitz Transform circuit with its much wider bandwidth filter options while doing exactly what the BFD does. :T Basically i'd end up chopping off some of the upper end output to get more extension.

#13 ·
Since we're on the subject, will the REW software work with the DEQ2496 or is it strictly for the 1124? I'm thinking of picking up the DEQ but I'd like to use the software with it if at all possible. I haven't had any type of EQ for a few years now. I'm so unworthy! :(

#14 ·
It's not setup to work with it yet... but I think John has it in the works or is planning on it eventually. I'm not that familiar with the parametric part of the DEQ but if it's similar you could still use REW but you might have to convert the filters over to however the DEQ sees them and input them manually.

#16 ·
Sonnie, I missed where you said "they're both BFD's". I actualyl didn't notice that until now. You'r right. Instead of saying im selling the bfd to get another bfd I should've said i'll be selling the dsp1124 to replace it with the fbq2496 ;)

#17 ·
Looking good Ex. I'm still glad I went the mono BASSIS rout even though I have the FBQ. Being that it's basically a adjustable LT, it gives my plenty of leeway in any sealed application that I would ever play with. From recent conversations, it does seam as though the DEQ can accomplish the same while q'ing the rest of your system though.

Did you get your Tum totally rebuilt Ex?.. is it at 100% now that it's out of the hospital?

#19 ·
Man, I wish Kramskoi would chime in here...

Steve, what does the DEQ do that the FBQ doesn't do? I was under the impression that the FBQ can simulate an LT circuit just as well as the DEQ with a cheaper pricetag and some of the unnecessary features omitted.

The Tumult is still sitting in it's shipment box waiting for me to ship it back to Adire. It comes up to $115 for the recone and basket replacement, i'll get most of the new and improved parts too :bigsmile: :T

#22 ·
Yeah, an LT is a shelving filter indeed. I guess I was under the wrong impression of the FBQ2496's capabilities...I always thought it had the ability to create LT-like shelving filters. Apparently I am mistaken. OTOH, it does get closer to being an LT than does the dsp1124 from what i've been told.

I guess i'll have to fork over $300 for the Tumult. Ah it'll be worth it. :T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.