Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Basic question about a driver freq spec

Tags
freq spec
1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  fusseli 
#1 ·
What does the driver's frequency range specification really mean? Is there a 'formal' definition that explains it or maybe a standardize testing procedure for determining this spec? If I should selected a driver with a frequency range of 23-1500Hz what do those limits tell me about the capability to expect from this driver?

#2 ·
Frequency response limits have no standard and if the manufacturer is serious about them then they will include something like "+/-3 dB" with the range that they list. For subwoofer drivers, I find frequency response 'specs' particularly worthless since the enclosure design dictates the LF response and subs get an LPF at usually 80-120 Hz anyways.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response, its much appreciated. The thing is that some of these ranges seems so precise... and example is for the driver I just put into a build recently... it is a Dayton RSS315HF and it's listed with a Frequency Range of 23-1,000Hz ...now why didn't they just round it off to 20Hz? Some have only 150Hz as the top end limit and others have 3000Hz, if the driver is specifically meant for subwoofer duties (often identifiable by the lower range limit) why even bother with numbers in the kHz range? I tried to post this question over at their Tech Forum but apparently I still don't have permission to post anything at all... kinda screwy registration policy.

#4 ·
It's just a specs thing, as a selling point. Looking at the response on a driver's datasheet will tell you waaaay more than "23-1000 Hz" does. That's beyond what's used (or needed) in about all subwoofer builds, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.