My DIY Subwoofer Project, help required - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #1 of 6 Old 02-14-13, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
My DIY Subwoofer Project, help required

hello there

I'm a very new member and I got here by searching google.
I saw this DIY subchannel and decided to ask you smart people for some help!

I am renovating my place and I really love HiFi.
I made a sketchup illustration of the current situation.

What you see on that picture is a blank room where I made a vertical structure in solid wood. (its open in front, so it's basically a vertical box with an open front)
I was hoping to someday fit a subwoofer inthere.

The measurements are: 24cm wide , 29cm deep, 2m38cm high.

Now I came here for some info, Could somebody propose a setup to reach the best possible audio quality ?
Maybe how to divide the box structure, which brand and size of woofer to buy.
Do I need special insulation inside ? Special structures ? etc...

Money is not really an issue, I want the most perfect bass coming from that thing!

Thank you very much
Greetings from Belgium!

Last edited by julliuz; 02-14-13 at 10:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 Old 02-15-13, 06:46 AM
HTS Senior Moderator
Re: My DIY Subwoofer Project, help required

Well hello and welcome to the forum.

With your dimensions and placement it will probably be better to build a pair of small sealed subs to put in your room then to use this space. If using a single layer of 18mm MDF you would net about 4cuft. Your depth would only be 11.4inches and add in .75" for the MDF and 1" for clearance of the speaker and your down to 9.65". So lets say 9.5" and with a front baffle of only 9.4" across. SO that limits you to a 8" sub or possibly a ten inch sub if you use the wall as a surface mount.

All that being said if you had a bunch of 8" subwoofers crammed in that space it may sound ok but the placement will probably not be the best. And then a single 15" sealed subwoofer would have been better. And you can move the sub around to find the best placement.

Will this setup be only for 2.1 channel audio? How big is the room?

"Music is the space between the notes"
ô[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.ö
post #3 of 6 Old 02-15-13, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

The room is about 8meters in length , 4 meters wide.
The vertical hollow wooden construction I made is right in the middle against a wall which is allready insulated on the back.

Note : The sizes I have given before (i'll put them in inches myself ;-) )are the sizes of the space I have left. The box has been built, i'm not going to break it down.
So the inside of the box has the following dimensions: 9.44 wide / 11.4 deep / 93 high.
The front is still open , i'll cover that with whatever is necessary (wood and cloth on top ?)
post #4 of 6 Old 02-15-13, 03:23 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

So you are limited to 8"drivers if mounted on the front.
Would it be possible to put a 10"driver mounted to the side?

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:
post #5 of 6 Old 02-16-13, 12:34 AM
Senior Shackster

So, you have 165l...
High Fidelity is not the same as Home Theater, so you wouldn't need to go as low.
What kind of music do you like? This we'll need to know to determine how low you should be able to go.

For HiFi I would say a closed box with Linkwitz Transformation is a good candidate but with multiple drivers in your box, placed on different heights.
Four drivers equally divided in the box, with one in the top and one in the bottom and the other two equally spaced between the others could help a with the room nodes. Don't expect miracles though, but it might be enough.
Now we should know how loud you need this to play, maybe you would have to use eight drivers instead.
I do see room for twelve drivers, if money really isn't an issue, you might try to find low VAS drivers but suitable for HiFi of course.

If you're restricted to this one enclosure and it can't be altered, then this is my best proposition.

I'm interested to see how this go's...subscribed!
post #6 of 6 Old 02-16-13, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

This box would only be used for bass, in the corners of the room i'll have normal speakers to go with it. (sorry for not mentioning this before)

So I'd just need to know how many and which kind of sub's I'd need to install and if they need special placement or not ?

(If you are following I'll post pictures of before and after ^^)

diy , project , required , subwoofer

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page