Ported vs. sealed vs. spl - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 86 Old 08-30-13, 10:35 PM
Senior Shackster

Nick

Re: Ported vs. sealed vs. spl

Quote:
scottthehat wrote: View Post
But shorely if your sub rated lower than the amp and is set up there should not be any clipping.

Clipping should only happen with underpowering drivers and not having the gain set right on pa amp's.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using HT Shack
Quote:
scottthehat wrote: View Post
But how long can it take the 1000 watts for.
And should you model for what it can take to it hits xmax in the desired box size.

So like a Fi q can take 1500w Rms in a 60l box and be at like 22mm but for it to hit xmax it may take 2500w rms, but what do you model to, and knowing it can take more power are you underpowering it.

If you want a driver to just absorb power and not blow up there are plenty of drivers out there that will fit the bill nicely. The Q is rated for more power and will handle more power than our HT series as it should with a coil that's twice as tall and 3"diameter vs 2.5" diameter. If you are concerned with having more output above 50 Hz and absolutely must be shoving each driver 1800 watts plus the Q is the better option for you. However, below 45/50 Hz the output lines become a little "blurred" as the SI HT's take over with equal power being applied to each driver. I know, and do admit, that our 2.5" coil HT drivers will not hang with the larger 3" coil 50mm long ww coils of the big boys. They were never intended to do so. What they were, and still are, intended to do is provide a lot of output per a given watt of input power utilizing performance to the fullest. But if you have a 5,000 watt amplifier that you want to shove to a single subwoofer I highly advise to NOT look at our HT series.

Electrodynamic
You can email me here about Stereo Integrity subwoofers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 86 Old 08-31-13, 03:19 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post

I usually model 30% or so over rated power handling or a few mm over Xmax , whichever comes first.
Thanks.

post #33 of 86 Old 08-31-13, 03:23 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Electrodynamic wrote: View Post

If you want a driver to just absorb power and not blow up there are plenty of drivers out there that will fit the bill nicely. The Q is rated for more power and will handle more power than our HT series as it should with a coil that's twice as tall and 3"diameter vs 2.5" diameter. If you are concerned with having more output above 50 Hz and absolutely must be shoving each driver 1800 watts plus the Q is the better option for you. However, below 45/50 Hz the output lines become a little "blurred" as the SI HT's take over with equal power being applied to each driver. I know, and do admit, that our 2.5" coil HT drivers will not hang with the larger 3" coil 50mm long ww coils of the big boys. They were never intended to do so. What they were, and still are, intended to do is provide a lot of output per a given watt of input power utilizing performance to the fullest. But if you have a 5,000 watt amplifier that you want to shove to a single subwoofer I highly advise to NOT look at our HT series.
Cheers. I have acoustic elegance Av15x drivers running off cerwin vega cv2800..
Which I'm loving and other me all I need and more.

post #34 of 86 Old 08-31-13, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

well, I think I'm gonna do it in stages... buy 2 now and see how I like it. then buy 2 later etc... I think I'm gonna get 2 x SI 18's and power with an EP4000.... quesiton. should I bridge the amp and get 2 of the D4's so as to run the subs in parrallel and give the bridged amp a 4ohm load or just run one per channel?

Last edited by Mike Edwards; 08-31-13 at 07:46 PM.
post #35 of 86 Old 08-31-13, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

oh and Mike P. can you take a glance at the modeling we did for the SI 18... in the 12 cu ft box with a single 29 inch lnch long 8 inch port it's giving some really high port veloctiy numbers. it gives me 25 ft/s at 30 hz and just shoots up to 62.8 ft/s around the 18 hz mark. ..
post #36 of 86 Old 09-01-13, 12:10 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

62.8 ft/s is 19 m/s, there's no problem with that. 4" flared ports will do 26 m/s without a problem.
post #37 of 86 Old 09-01-13, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
62.8 ft/s is 19 m/s, there's no problem with that. 4" flared ports will do 26 m/s without a problem.
/facepalm... yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh, my brain was THINKING m/s and not ft/s when I was reading those numbers.... I was wondering how in blazes the port speed would get that high lol... oooooooooooooooopsss...
post #38 of 86 Old 09-01-13, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System
Oh and what do u think on running two d4 s in parallel bridged or running the d2's one on each channel
post #39 of 86 Old 09-01-13, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

LASTLY. let me explain why I'm getting rid of my Two THT's.. I have a weird "harshness" to them that makes them turn really boomy when I try and unleash the full potential of them... I put them in my buddies house and you can notice a distinct depth and clarity to them that I just can't get in the acoustecs of my house.... I never had that issue when I had my ported SVS subs in the same places because I could move them around a little and they never needed to be corner loaded... (than and the weren't firing directly into a wall like horns need to be... this way I can overcome some of those issues and get a solid depth increase as well...
post #40 of 86 Old 09-01-13, 07:42 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Bridged would get you a bit more power, D4 subs would have to be wired series/parallel so you can split the leads at the amp to feed each sub at a separate location.

Name:  subs.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  30.8 KB