Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Why 2 Passive Radiators instead of just 1?

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Mike P. 
#1 ·
I have always heard that PR's should be used in pairs if they are the same size as the active drivers but never really understood why.
I have some Aura 1808 motors with the TC Sounds replacement tops. I used a 8 cuft dual opposed box I already had and put one of the 1808 subs on one side and a Exodus 18" PR on the other. I modeled it and everything seems fine, actually digs deeper with a single PR instead of a pair. I really haven't messed with it too much due to a very busy schedule lately but the little I did it sounds very good.

Now here is the problem, I only have a pair of Exodus 18" PR's but don't want to use both for a single sub as I have more than 1 of the TC/Aura 18" subs. What problems could I run into just running 1 18" PR with 1 Active 18" sub?

#3 ·
I will have to upload the file tomorrow, don't have it on this computer.

The dual PR project does have 4db more output right around 16hz. I can run a lower HPF with the dual PR's at right around 15hz, have to raise it up a little to 17hz on the single PR.

I see the advantages of dual PR's, just trying to be cheap I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.