Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

tc sounds or dayton ultimax which sound better

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Jason Schultz 
#1 ·
Good evening all ,

I want to build a new sub but i am still debating which sub manufacturer i should trust.

I am hearing a lot about Dayton ultimax and tc sounds which seems to have better sound and punch ?

Alain

#2 ·
I would say that TC Sounds is a "better" brand than Dayton, but I would definitely recommend both. Another brand to consider would be JL Audio, they are superb for the highest-quality drivers. A good budget friendly solution that competes with the Ultimax is the Stereo Integrity HT drivers. The Creative Sound SDX subs are also impressive.

What size of sub are you considering?

#4 ·
Not that I'm discounting jl audio subs and the way they sound but for the money you spend on say a 12w6 that retails for about 400 bucks. Do you think the performance is justifiable compared to other lower priced drives like the lmsr 12? Just curious. Not trying to hijack the thread sorry.

#5 ·
I can only speak for the Ultimax - they rock! I built a pair of Subs with 15" Ultimax drivers (wired for 4ohm) in 3 cu. ft. sealed birch boxes, powered by an iNuke 3000DSP. Running subs in stereo from a 9.2 Denon 4311ci.

Have not run REW yet, but just with Audyssey they sound fantastic! Exceeded my expectations. :T

#10 ·
What would be the ideal box size

#11 ·
I don't think there is one correct answer for this question. On the one hand you can build a large box say 5-6 cu ft. and acheive a "tight" sounding bass with better extension, but with this set up you will reach x-max at 500 watts @ 25 hz., so you will have to use a subsonic filter up around 25hz or ...limit your power input. On the other hand you could build a small enclosure 4.25 Cu Ft. and let the air spring in the box do the job of limiting excursion. At 500 w you will be within x-max down to 20 hz. That would be an economical way to do it since you don't need a subsonic filter (below 500 w at least). The larger box may produce a better room gain since the roll off is shallower. It all depends on what your after.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.