DIY Comparable to the SB2000? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

3Likes

post #11 of 12 Old 09-26-16, 12:36 AM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: DIY Comparable to the SB2000?

Quote:
skyflexion wrote: View Post
AJ and DqMcClain - thank you for your responses.

DqMcClain - I understand your points and must say that I have my reservations as well about EQing. My main motivation though is seeing that SVS advertises an F3 of 19 hz, surely that must be achievable. Your comment on fidelity is interesting, it would be great to know more in the context of my plans laid out below.

I have modeled a Dayton Ultimax 12 in a 1.2 cubic foot enclosure with a LT and a 20hz high pass. With a nominal signal of 100 watts, the resultant peak is about 480 watts. I plan on using an iNuke 3000 dsp and believe that still leaves plenty of headroom. The SPL indicated at 20hz is around 99db. Since i plan to go dual, I hope I can at least go over the 100db mark, though I doubt I will be doing that too often. FWIW - in the local context 2 12" Ultimax drivers + iNuke 3000dsp + woodwork still equates to 35% lesser than 2 SB2000s and that just feels good! So please do let me know if I am missing out on some key variables.
Oh yes, it's perfectly achievable... but at a cost. Consider also that SVS is bending the truth just a tad when they say "19Hz-220Hz +/- 3dB". If you look at the graph on their website, the majority of the curve is around 93-94dB. But the graph also extends almost two octaves past where most people will set the crossover, and it does that for the express purpose of making it technically true to call 19Hz the F3. In reality, the useful upper range of the system will be more in the neighborhood of 80Hz-100Hz, meaning 19Hz is closer to -6dB. Don't take this as me saying the SVS subs aren't good products... just that even a good product can be subject to a little sleight-of-hand when it comes to writing down the specs. The good news for you is that 99dB is not all that difficult a bar to hop over, and adding a second cabinet down the road helps considerably. (at least on paper... in-room response is a tricky thing)

As for fidelity... more tricky business. Harmonic distortion, which is what most manufacturers will advertise, is harder to hear down in subwoofer territory meaning higher levels of THD are more tolerable than at critical mid- and high-frequencies. It's also generally easier to avoid simply by keeping within the design parameters of amplification circuitry. Intermodulation distortion, however, can be quite nasty. As a general rule, the more you process a signal the more you introduce the potential for IMD to rear its ugly head. It's pretty safe to assume that a company like SVS has thought this through and chosen their design well for the purpose of minimizing any audible form of distortion. The real question for your build will be how well you manage to avoid IMD. The iNukeDSP's have a reputation that far exceeds that of the Behringer of days gone by, so I'd say you can proceed with confidence.

Also, building it is usually more fun that buying it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 Old 09-26-16, 07:52 AM

Re: DIY Comparable to the SB2000?

DqMcClain - Thanks for the insights. This has made my life a lot easier. Ok - so now I am now off to the races! Will circle back in due course with updates.