Measuring for an IB system... - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 42 Old 07-02-06, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System
re: Measuring for an IB system...

Quote:
kingkip wrote:
Sounds like it will be great Sonnie. I can't wait to see some pics. Also I found you don't need a ton of power. Mostly just enough to get the drivers to move full excursion, in fact it seems that too much power is almost more dangerous to the drivers. Just from my limited experience.

Hey kingkip... sorry I missed your post earlier.

Yeah... I was originally planning on two amps and culled that back to one. If I go with the SoundSplinters then Mike at SS has suggested the 300 watts per channel should be just right for those.

Looks like you got all done huh? Nice work... I did ask you a few questions you see in your thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 Old 07-03-06, 02:36 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Quote:
Sonnie wrote:
Actually Darren and I were discussing the SS RL-p15 earlier. The dual 4ohm version has a higher Qts of 0.447... which is indeed higher than everything else I have been looking at thus far.
I'm not sure why higher Q driver is that important... I would have thought a lower Q driver would be 'tighter', and to me, more musical, less flappy, etc.

And 8x15" drivers.. I keep getting that scene in Back to Future running in my head.

JCD
post #23 of 42 Old 07-03-06, 03:26 PM
Senior Shackster

Darren

Lower Qts = tighter sound, higher Qts = better home theater effects. .5 Qts is kind of the best of both worlds if I remember correctly.
post #24 of 42 Old 07-03-06, 03:59 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Quote:
Darren wrote:
Lower Qts = tighter sound, higher Qts = better home theater effects. .5 Qts is kind of the best of both worlds if I remember correctly.
That was my understanding as well. When I hit Thomas on this (I was asking about specific drivers) his response was something along the lines of "I don't believe in music vs. HT sound. Good bass is good bass." So I've been left without a satisfying answer. Purely on a theoritcal level, I would have thought lower Q=better.

So, Sonnie, when do you pull the trigger?

JCD
post #25 of 42 Old 07-03-06, 04:08 PM
SVSound
Jack

Quote:
I would have thought a lower Q driver would be 'tighter', and to me, more musical, less flappy, etc.
Qtc can be too low, though, sounding dry and overdamped. I like to hang around .7 (maximally flat). I've run my drivers over 1.0, and it's actually pretty cool for AC/DC.
The transfer function of most people's rooms is of high enough Q to swamp
most of these small differences. A "critically damped" sub will likely be anything but without adequate treatments.
post #26 of 42 Old 07-03-06, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

You guys are talking all this .5 Qts stuff and the highest I've seen in any of the drivers I've looked at is the .447 of the dual 4ohm SoundSplinters. Where you getting .5 and .7 at? What am I missing?

Quote:
Jacen wrote:
So, Sonnie, when do you pull the trigger?
I'm probably a few weeks out. I've still got to do some more research, study a little more, make sure I got all my ducks in a row sorta thing. I'm still undecided on drivers right now... although the SS's seem like the way to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #27 of 42 Old 07-03-06, 04:35 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Quote:
Sonnie wrote:
You guys are talking all this .5 Qts stuff and the highest I've seen in any of the drivers I've looked at is the .447 of the dual 4ohm SoundSplinters. Where you getting .5 and .7 at? What am I missing?
I haven't seen those either.. I've been trying to find a Q closer to .38ish based on the recommendation I got from someone a while ago, plus the FAQ on the Cult.

Quote:
Sonnie wrote:
I'm probably a few weeks out. I've still got to do some more research, study a little more, make sure I got all my ducks in a row sorta thing. I'm still undecided on drivers right now... although the SS's seem like the way to go.
Yeah, I've been waiting till I am totally ready to pull the trigger before I go looking for drivers. Thomas keeps alluding to some new 18" drivers -- with a huge xmax, great sound quality, cost $1.99/each, will make a cafe latte for you, etc -- coming down the pipe in a "couple of months". It's KILLING me..

JCD
post #28 of 42 Old 07-03-06, 04:47 PM
Senior Shackster

I may be wrong but I have a feeling you guys may be confusing Qtc and Qts with eachother. Qts is the driver paramater (the driver's Q at FS), whereas Qtc is a design goal and can be adjusted with Vb of the enclosure being used. In this case we're talking huge Vb which in essense translates into a lower Qtc design.

If you don't have a BFD for your sub, get one fast!
If you don't have REW, get it now!
post #29 of 42 Old 07-03-06, 04:50 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Quote:
Exocer wrote:
I may be wrong but I have a feeling you guys may be confusing Qtc and Qts with eachother. Qts is the driver paramater (the driver's Q at FS), whereas Qtc is a design goal and can be adjusted with Vb of the enclosure being used. In this case we're talking huge Vb which in essense translates into a lower Qtc design.
I was talking Qts..
I did miss that Jack Gilvey mentioned Qtc though.

JCD
post #30 of 42 Old 07-03-06, 04:53 PM
Senior Shackster

Jim

Quote:
JCD wrote:
And 8x15" drivers.. I keep getting that scene in Back to Future running in my head.

JCD
LOL ... crank everything to "10" and let it rip! Unless, of course, you're Spinal Tap.

Jim in Houston, dreamin' of "11" ...

Jim
Houston, TX