Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Need new sub, thought i would build one!

Tags
build thought
6K views 41 replies 9 participants last post by  Eric Mathews 
G
#1 ·
Hello all i am new to this forum and new to DIY. Right now i have 2 Velodyne 12" sub, they are more of a music sub and not a HT sub. The room that i have my theater set up in is used 100% for Movies. I have been looking into an SVS for about 6 months now but they figured, its just a cylinder with a sub i can build that lol. I have my mind set on a sonosub and just picked up a css SDX15. Found out that i live 20 min from their location in Abbotsford BC lol. I have seen a couple of people build the sonosubs with this driver and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about size of tube and port length and size. I have read a lot and it seems like Steve is the sonotube god lol. size does not matter at all the whole room is made for it and i got no wife to please!! OHH the amp im using is a pro amp bridged to 560 wrms, im hoping thats enough. thanks in advanced for your wealth of knowledge

Eric

G
#31 ·
ok i finally was able to put some more numbers up, but im still not sure which weight i should use. the SPL meter did not come with any instructions sssoo i just measured it with both. i first measured it at 0 db on my receiver, then i measured it just under clipping and then ran them again. here are the numbers, (no i cannot write this clean it was my girl friend lol). i think i just might need a bigger amp because it moves air... a lot. it shook a big glass dish off the fridge up stairs and it exploded on the floor. the thing is, i can go pretty loud with it with test tones, but as soon as i try to tun the amp up on say, War of the worlds, then the amp clips :(. im not sure if putting the sub in a sealed box would make any difference or not, maybe a smalled driver.... i dont know help! thanks

Eric

Attachments

#32 ·
This sub is VERY deep (pretty flat down to 12 Hz) and that's why it is not very loud. You need more of this sub. Adding a second colocated fed with another identical amp will add 6 db to these readings.

#34 ·
From the readings I think he didn't

#37 ·
The numbers look pretty good, and very flat. Maybe the 12s were a little "boomier" with more power in the upper range, which is more noticable to our ears? If this thing is shaking dishes off shelves, it has to be producing some good low bass. Can you feel the floor/furniture vibrate when watching movies? Is there more of a tactile sensation than with the 12s?

G
#38 ·
ok so i picked up a new ep2500. this made a big difference i bridged it for 2400 RMS. i cant really feel anything shake, but i think that is because it is a basement and the floor and walls are cement, sssooo ya. my old amp would clip if i turned it up too much but this amp i have it as just past 1/4 and it wont clip at all!. oohh MR Mike P. how do i use this calibration file? i downloaded it but i suck with computers and i dont know what the file extention is. thanks for all the help!

#39 ·
how do i use this calibration file? i downloaded it but i suck with computers and i dont know what the file extention is.
The calibration file is in text format and can be opened with notepad or similar text editor, or you can append a .txt extension to the filename (using rename) and then simply double click the file and it will open.

The format is frequency versus dB level (showing the level that the meter reads low or high from zero dB). For example an entry of ( 20 -5.0) would mean at 20Hz, the meter reads 5dB low, so you need to add 5dB to any reading at 20Hz.

But, it would be far better to download the excel file that matches your meter from the download page instead of having your GF write down stuff on a piece of paper.

This is the excel file for the digital meter. Simply put your raw meter readings into the cells provided and the results are compensated with the calibration automatically. It also draws a swell graph. You can download the sinewave tones from here and burn them to a CD and use them to create the cell entries, or use the sinewave tones you already have.

brucek

G
#40 ·
thank you SO much for explaining that it all makes sence now!!! ssoooo i guess the mesurments arnt that bad then, hm. i still think my room accoustics are horrable, but at least now i know there is nothing wrong with the sub.

#41 ·
Eric, have you walked around the rest of the room, or even the house while playing some bass heavy content to see how it sounds? It's very possible that you just have some room problems, and maybe relocating the sub will help that. I know I have a few areas in my living room where the bass sounds better, and a few where it sounds a lot thinner and worse.

G
#42 ·
ya i have moved the sub all around the room, and where it is now, it sounds the best... but with the new amp it sounds better so i think im just gonna have to be happy the way it is lol, untill i get a new house. thanks :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.