Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

18" Havoc With 2 Pr's Build, It Begins!

5K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  looneybomber 
#1 · (Edited)
Took a while, but now it's real with no more hesitation, should be done next week. Sub firing floor and 2 PRs on each side, 2" baffle on PRs and sub, with 1" for the flush mount, final calculation should be 7.23cu.ft NET @18.5hz, 3 horizontal brace, interior dimensions are 19x19x40 and exterior are 23x25x45 with the stand height would be 52 instead of 45. Will replace the little tc-10oem!

Also, I will be making some big sized bookshelves that will consist woofers; 2 8" Seas W22NY001 with a tweeter; Vifa xt25, each (MTM) . Got inspired by JM Lab, the L & R, I will make the bookshelves angled kind of the same way. It will consist 2x 2" port 5" long in 1.26cu.ft NET for a 40hz tuning.

thx for looking

#3 ·
Well I bet you're pretty darn excited, eh?! I know I would be! I look forward to build pics, and final impressions. It'll sure be a step up from that beast of a 10" that's for sure.

And those bookshelves won't sound bad either - are you copying a design or designing something for yourself/or having one done?

#4 ·
I measured everything so it fits my desk and be decent sized, got inspired by JM Lab's L & R for the external design but its not a proven design that someone already did, I did it myself, I expect it to sound much better than the B&W 685 with lot more output with lots of punch and mid-bass but below around 55hz, I don't expect them to play much.

#7 · (Edited)
Well, the big part is DONE!! now I need to find some texture to cover it all. It weighs around 150lb without the subs!

You can see it behind the LCD, watched Iron man with this setup in the living room, it was the best movie experience ever! Bass was airy, natural and depth was insane! Unforgetable 1h30 !!

#12 · (Edited)
I heard it a little bit so far, and it sounds good, very very deep, output is of course TONS more than the 10", it feels so much better, lot more intensive sound, transient response looks great so far, I still need to play with it some more, also, right now it is up firing because the base is not done, clearance will be 5inch between sub and floor. The sound should differ alot when downfiring! I'm scared to crank it now... the lows are very present.

Before;

After;

Now(I burned the 18", was bumping it for 5-6h at a party and finally got way too hot, even to the touch!!!!)

I'm shopping around for a brand new high powered, high displacement 18" !! will let you posted ! not anytime soon though, unless if I win the lottery... hehe

#15 ·
hehe, after further listening, I'm in love with the sound and output. The lows and deepness are simply stunning, the sound is rich, transient response is excellent which I did not expect. The only problem is that it rolls off after 60hz or so but that isn't a big deal as the bookshelves I'm going to build should solve this problem. The output is more than enough, and I'm putting lot less stress on my amplifier now. Also, the PR's moves only when playing from 15hz to 30hz, other than that it moves very little. So all in all this project exceeded my expectations ! Many thanks to the shack for helping me with the enclosure plan, to Ascendant Audio for making a solid subwoofer and to Creative Sound Solution for some great PR's very well priced. :bigsmile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.