Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Making a ported enclosure

6K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  WillyD 
G
#1 ·
I have a Rl-p 15" in a sealed enclosure right now but want it to be louder. Does anyone have some plans for a ported enclosure?

#4 ·
I'm not totaly sure of the volume, it's outer dimensions are indicated on the plan, and I tried to keep the interior as close to the original as I could (Thomas W's Ariel Stryke Klone).

It's tuned to approx 18 Hz with that length of port and those PNR-6bk Aeroport flares.

G
#5 ·
That looks great...what are your impressions? Unless my math is off, It looks like the total volume is approx 213 liters (did the conversion in winISD and guestimated the bracing) The graphs look good with that set up. On other forums, it was recomended to use a 260 liter enclosure with a 6" port that was 28" long. I was wondering the performance difference of an enclosure that was that much smaller. What plate amp is that? Looks a little like the 500 watt PE.

Is the duct tape there for bracing as the glue is drying??? (that was my plan as well seeing I dont have clamps big enough for the enclosure!!! Kind of "Earl Shibe" but if it works...what the he!!)

#7 ·
IIRC, I'm at approx 6.5 ft^3, but I can't recall for sure - only thing I'm sure of is the tuning was targeted at 18.56 Hz and cam in much closer to an even 18 Hz.

the enclosure was orignaly modeled for a Blueprint Designs BP-1503,
it was rated at 1000 watts continuous, but suffered a mechanical failure so it was replaced with the RL-p.

my BP-1503 was a 4 ohm driver, so my plate amp - an ADIRE AUDIO ADA 1200

could provide an honest 1200 watts, but in the RL-p's case, a dual 4 ohm unit, the ADA 1200 provides a good 600 watts to the driver's coils.

THe RL-p doesn't sound quite as good in this enclosure as the BP-1503 did, but I still have a BFD-1124 to add to the mix if I need to.

Otherwise, I'll complete my second enclosure (a dual D4 RL-p sealed unit, 50% completed) and have no problem dialing in the response with the '1124.

The duct tape was just for a pre-production mock-up prior to assembly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.