Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

connect to DSP 1124P

12K views 24 replies 2 participants last post by  brucek 
#1 ·
i want to buy and use dsp 1124p like parametric eq for my velodyne spl1000, can i connect it from another subwoofer and its speaker level output? is it correct and good idea?

#5 ·
any ideas?
Yes, it is possible to create a small circuit to accomplish what you're trying to do, but it usually takes some trial and error testing, combined with the abililty to solder and the specs of the subwoofer amplifier with regard to whether it is a bridged output and its power rating.

Your best bet would be to use a set of 5.1 speakers, thus enabling the sub out jack in that mode. Then you can tap the line-level output to feed the BFD and Vel.

If you simply used your 2.1 set of speakers as mains left/right and then added a powered center channel speaker, you could enable 5.1 mode to make the center/sub line out active.

brucek

#7 ·
yes, but if i connect center+sw to my 2.1 speakers i will not have volume control together for all channels
You don't connect them to the 2.1 speakers, you connect them to the soundcard.

If you enable 5.1 sound in your Audigy 4 software, then all 5.1 line level jacks will be enabled and controlled by the main volume control.

I believe your present hookup would be like this? All you will be doing is adding a center channel speaker and your BFD sub to the red jack shown.

Text Line Diagram Parallel Font

If you enable 5.1 sound the center / subwoofer jack as shown below will be enabled.

Use a cable that breaks out the red 1/8" stereo jack and one channel will be sent to the new powered center channel speaker and the other to the BFD.

you of course could add the rear channel speakers also, but not really necessary unless you're using it for movies.

Does this make sense?

brucek

#13 ·
I hesitate to go down the road of telling you how to hook your BFD to a speaker since it is fraught with problems - the least of which is shorting out your speaker amplifier.

But either way, it's not that difficult.

There are a couple pieces of information that we need to know.

1. Is the Negative (-) terminal on the subwoofer speaker wire at ground potential?
This is essential since some amplifiers rely on a bridging technique to boost the power. I don't have a schematic of your speaker system with amplifier, so I can't determine this without you measuring it.
With the power off you need to measure with a multimeter on the lowest scale between the Negative (-) subwoofer speaker wire terminal (at the speaker) and ground of the amplifier. Be sure there is a short indicated.

2. What is the rated power (watts) of the subwoofer amplifier? This is necessary to roughly calculate the attenuation required to bring the signal to a line level that the BFD is familiar with.

3. What is the impedance of the subwoofer driver in ohms. (i.e. 8 ohms or 4 ohms)

3. Can you solder? If not, better forget it. :)

brucek

#23 ·
its grounded. what is the next step?
OK, as long as the negative terminal of the speaker wire on the subwoofer driver is at ground, a simple resistor attenuation modification won't short out your amplifier when connected to the BFD.

Since the power specified is 120 watts RMS into 8 ohms, then we can assume by rough approximation that the maximum RMS voltage at the sub speaker terminals is about 31volts. (e=sqrt of resistance times power).

The BFD has a maximum input level when using the -10dBV switch setting of +2dBV which calculates to about 1.26vRMS. This is the level we need to attenuate to when the speaker is at its theoretical maximum output.

So, if we want to voltage divide the subs maximum speaker voltage of 31 volts we need to drop by a factor of about 24.6 = 27.8dB.
So the speaker level needs a voltage divider (with appropriate input and output impedances) to produce a line level of 1.26vRMS. For this we can use the resistors shown in the diagram below. The 15K is close enough to the calculated 14.8Kohm when using 600 ohms as the output impedance. There's no power dropped across the resistors so 1/4 watts will do (but bigger if you find them easier to physically work with).

This has an acceptable output impedance of ~600 ohms and an appropriate 28dB attenuation. If you find the line level to the BFD too low, then you can increase the voltage output of the divider by increasing the value of the 600 ohms. I wouldn't go above 1K though.

Once you've connected the resistors to the speaker (making sure of the positive and negative speaker terminals), then connect shielded cable (with the cables pin going to the junction of the 15K and 600 ohm resistors and the shield connecting to the negative of the speaker terminal) and then terminate in an RCA connector (just cut the end off an old RCA interconnect and use that as the cable and connector).

Plug the connector into a phono to mono 1/4" jack plug adaptors as shown below and then into the 1/4" input of the BFD.

If you short your amplifier out, you can't say I didn't give ample warning. :)

Text Line Font Parallel Design

brucek

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.