Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

I need help to set levels for Dirac Live measurements

10K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  FargateOne 
#1 ·
[/B][/B]Finally, I successfully get the signal in all channels with NanoAVR-DL by changing the system setting in NanoAVR programmer from auto to 7.1 channel.
Now, after many attemps or trials, I never get enough input level to get the first mic. Position measured.
I followed the manual instructions many times and get the message: level too low every times.
I raised the volume in the receiver to the level required to get 75db on Galaxy sonometer.
I programmed a remote to raise the nanoAVR volume to 0.
I pushed the output volume control in Dirac Live to -7,5 db, my speakers began clipping but still got the message level too low. I also made many test with different input gain.

The UMIK I have is from MiniDSP. I put the 90degree file. The mic gain is 18db with it in Diraclive.
What do I do wrong?
Thank you

#2 ·
I have no direct experience with UNIK-1 or the Nano so this is just a guess.

Is the UMIK-1 cable seated all the way into mic? It is tight fit and will snap-in when fully seated. That has been reported as a common problem when there is 'low signal' reported and no other issues found. Of course, if the mic is working with REW or other programs then that is not the problem.

#3 · (Edited)
Thank for your concern but , yes, the mic is well connected because it reads correctly the sweeps in Dirac and also it works very well with Rew.
In Dirac, all the sweeps went as supposed with a second one in left channel at the end. Also the graphic bar traces itself along the measurement process which indicates that the sound is received by the software.
And, at each attempt, after adjusting the output level or input level for the left channel, all other channels were properly set with the blue bar going in the green zone at -12db mark even with the sub channel.
I do not know what else to do. After the error message, you will have understand that I can't click on the proceed button to continue.
Simply put: it is not working.

#4 ·
Your experience with a "low signal" level is similar to my own. Similar, but not identical, because my Dirac version was customized to run on Emotiva hardware. In any case, I've found the software decides to lock-up (as you describe) based on insufficient input gain. Sometimes the condition can be cleared by exiting the software and starting from scratch. No doubt that's annoying if it happens close to the end of 9 measurements! I'm unsure how the nanoAVR can be connected to the network, but my AVR offers both wireless and hardwired ethernet. The Dirac calibration sequence is computationally intensive and requires a solid connection. Here are a few tips from my Emotiva XMC-1 user manual that I hope will come in handy for you:

Dirac Live requires a stable, reliable network connection. While Dirac Live usually works well with a WiFi connection, if you experience excessive time-outs or errors, you may have a weak WiFi signal, and should consider using a direct wired Ethernet connection to your router or switch. Note: Some home routers and cable modems only support a limited number of network devices and addresses. If your router supports DHCP, but doesn’t assign a network address to your XMC-1, try disconnecting some network devices you aren’t using and resetting the router. If you choose to manually configure the network information on your XMC-1, be sure to choose a network address and other parameters that are appropriate for your network.

Note: Although Dirac Live doesn’t have any special bandwidth requirements, you will minimize the possibility of connectivity problems if you avoid downloading large files or streaming video
while performing your room measurements. No special configuration settings are required to run Dirac Live on most typical home networks; if you experience connectivity problems, and suspect that you may need to change settings on your router or cable modem, you may need to consult an expert familiar with your particular network equipment and configuration - such as your cable company or service provider.

#5 ·
Your experience with a "low signal" level is similar to my own. Similar, but not identical, because my Dirac version was customized to run on Emotiva hardware. In any case, I've found the software decides to lock-up (as you describe) based on insufficient input gain. Sometimes the condition can be cleared by exiting the software and starting from scratch. No doubt that's annoying if it happens close to the end of 9 measurements! I'm unsure how the nanoAVR can be connected to the network, but my AVR offers both wireless and hardwired ethernet. The Dirac calibration sequence is computationally intensive and requires a solid connection. Here are a few tips from my Emotiva XMC-1 user manual that I hope will come in handy for you:

(...).
Thank you so much for your time. I have a ticket open with Minidsp. WE will see. But my limits are neer to be overloaded !. I bought a laptop (used by chance) only to use this unit . My home theater room is in the basement. Router signal is at 71%. For example, I need the dongle for Cambridge update but not to get internet on the laptop neither to open my account to Dirac or checked my registration to Dirac web site.
Also it took me more than 10 hours to solve an other problem with Dirac :crying:(when you are in user session with Windows 10, Dirac works in background into administrator so nothing works way before the first sweep).
I do not have Ethernet connection. My router is 2 stairs up the ht room. If it can not be fixed without Ethernet (solid) connection, I think that ther will be a unit for sale (and a laptop) soon.
Thank again.
I will keep members informed :frown:

#6 ·
I'm sorry to hear your router/network issues may keep you from using Dirac. Many have found Dirac to be far superior to Audyssey XT32 (read some user feedback here). Your extra effort to get it working would be worth it!

While you wait for miniDSP to respond to your ticket, it won't hurt to check if Automatic Gain Control is disabled on your laptop. From my XMC-1 manual:
IMPORTANT NOTE: Most Microsoft Windows computers have an AGC (automatic gain control) feature which automatically adjusts the gain of any microphones that you connect. YOU MUST DISABLE AGC FOR THE MICROPHONE INPUT ON YOUR COMPUTER FOR ACCURATE RESULTS. Please refer to the Dirac Live FAQ for details about how to disable AGC on your computer.

My lock-up problems went away when I connected BOTH the laptop and the Dirac unit (AVR) with a hard-wired ethernet connection. If you can't snake cables down the walls or route them through holes in your floors/ceilings, I would consider adding a wireless repeater to boost the signal. I hate to ask you to spend more money for another box that may not solve the problem. You may just need to upgrade to a faster internet speed. Someone more experienced with networks and routers might be able to help better than I can.

#10 ·
I really do not know what to think about the wifi comments. I have said elsewhere that it could not be an issue, but the advisers in this thread are experienced users so...
I'm open to the idea that my solution is not universal, and should consider revisiting the issue. :R

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.