What solution do folks use for the dreaded BFD hum? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers!

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Equalization | Calibration > Electronic Processing/Equalization Devices
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 52648 - Replies: 314  
Old 09-27-06, 03:51 PM   #1

Mitch
Since: Sep 2006
Naperville, Illinois
My System
I started this thread.
What solution do folks use for the dreaded BFD hum?

I'm a big believer in standing on the shoulders of giants.
In this case that means I would like to know what solution folks use for addressing The Hum.

Right now I'm using a cheater plug, but I would like to solve the problem the right way. I saw the links to Jensen and Ebtech stuff, but Jensen has a bunch of different products, and the Ebtech links are qualified with words like "possible."

So, what are you audio giants using to address The Hum?

Thanks,

Mitch

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-06, 06:38 PM   #2
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Since: May 2006
Gainesville, FL, USA
Re: What solution do folks use for the dreaded BFD hum?

The right way is to convert the balanced connections on the BFD to unbalanced that are required by most AV systems using a transformer. You can get them at radio shack for about $14. Using the cheater plug is OK for testing and may never cause a problem, but why not do it right?

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Leonard Caillouet MS, CET, MST, ISF

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.
http://www.theprosquad.com/index2.aspx

Old 09-27-06, 10:01 PM   #3
stitz
Inactive

this worked great for me, whisper quiet. The cheater plug was definitely louder. It also got a good review at secrets.

http://www.dcispec.com/

Old 09-28-06, 01:08 AM   #4
Senior Shackster

John
Since: Apr 2006
Central California Coast

I use a cleanbox II.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...4&src=3SOSWXXA

Old 09-28-06, 01:12 AM   #5
Shackster

Jim
Since: Jun 2006
Phoenix, Az

I use the ART CleanBoxII

http://www.audiomidi.com/CleanBox-II-P4657.aspx

Worked like a charm.

"Relax. Don't worry. Have a Homebrew."
Charlie Papazian

Old 09-28-06, 01:15 AM   #6
Shackster

Jim
Since: Jun 2006
Phoenix, Az

Great minds think alike

"Relax. Don't worry. Have a Homebrew."
Charlie Papazian

Old 09-28-06, 01:44 AM   #7
Senior Shackster

Hakka
australia

I've never heard of this problem before, my BFD doesn't hum, then again im in Australia on 240v, not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

I've had a look at the links posted in this thread, could one of those be used to eliminate the ground loop caused by a laptop on mains power?

Harry.

Old 09-28-06, 06:40 AM   #8
Elite Shackster

brucek
Since: Apr 2006

Quote:
could one of those be used to eliminate the ground loop caused by a laptop on mains power?
Most likely, if it's in the audio chain.

Quote:
I would like to know what solution folks use for addressing The Hum
In the BFD GUIDE, under the first section "Connecting The BFD", it discusses the solutions to this problem, including several of the products already mentioned. Some use transformers, some differential amps - take your pick... The DC1 that stitz mentioned seems to be a good price and get good reviews. I've never tried it myself.

You want to stay away from inexpensive devices for this application, since their low frequency response are quite poor. The Radio Shack product is particularily bad in this regard.

brucek

Old 09-28-06, 07:41 AM   #9

Mitch
Naperville, Illinois
My System
I started this thread.

Just so people don't think I'm a complete idiot, I did see the suggestions in the BFD guide, but there appear to be a hundred Jensen products and the other products are listed in the guide as "possible solutions."
Hence, I wanted to hear some first hand accounts of what people are using.

Mitch

Old 09-28-06, 12:50 PM   #10
Shackster

Dundas
Since: May 2006

Has anyone tried the HumX? Not having to insert something in the signal path would be prefered.
http://www.ebtechaudio.com/humxdes.html

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Equalization | Calibration > Electronic Processing/Equalization Devices »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »