Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

BFD delay question

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  mojogoes 
#1 ·
Hello,
I am new here and I have a couple questions.
BFD has 1ms delay due to processing time. Unfortunately my receiver doesn't have any delay adjustment. My question: is 1ms delay will be noticeable / audible?
Thanks.

#2 ·
Hi YS,

Does your receiver have a "distance" setting for each channel? If so, that's the same thing as a "delay" setting. If you want to account for the 1 ms delay, just count your sub as 1 foot closer than it really measures.

In practice, I have noticed little difference in a 1 foot / 1 ms change. You'll be fine.

#3 ·
Otto,
Thank you for your quick reply.
My receiver doesn't have "distance" setting (read cheap).
I am getting BFD soon, so I was worry about delay.
Another question: did anybody try to modify BFD power supply 120VAC to 12VDC, so that it can be used to equalize the car sub frequency response?
YS

#4 ·
I am getting BFD soon, so I was worry about delay
There will be a difference delay for each set of speakers that will be much more than the 1ms that the BFD offers. This would be a larger worry. If the rear speakers are at 4 feet from your listening position and the mains are 15 feet, that's a bit of a problem if the receiver doesn't have a distance control. I can't imagine they would sell a receiver today without that feature.

did anybody try to modify BFD power supply 120VAC to 12VDC, so that it can be used to equalize the car sub frequency response?
No, but you could simply use an inverter to produce the 120v from 12v. The BFD draws about the same current as a night light.....

brucek

#5 ·
No, but you could simply use an inverter to produce the 120v from 12v. The BFD draws about the same current as a night light.....
brucek
That's very interesting....how does this inverter look? can it be found at radioshack for example?
What about 220v? are there inverters to produce 220V from 12V?

#6 ·
That's very interesting....how does this inverter look? can it be found at radioshack for example?
What about 220v? are there inverters to produce 220V from 12V?
They have small ones (75 watts) that plug into cigarette lighters like this and larger ones that are attached at the battery and can supply lots of power.

Yeah, they sell 220 volt ones...... see Google.

brucek

#13 ·
Is this question an obvious one......i have recently had a fiddle with in the receiver programing and now the in dvd/film mode is now on par with the watching in normal tv/cd mode from a bass output level basis.....although dd/dts etc is always going to give a lot more response than an analog format.

I going to go through all the head scratching and setting up with all the usual equipment bfd/rew etc , but i only copied someones filter settings yesterday to see what a difference they may make given probably most of the room dimensions are know where near the same not to mention the difference in subs......................but what a difference its made , so given all these factors when the more correct filters are finally set it should sound very impressive.....hopefully next week i'll have some graphs to show to the guru's.

#12 ·
hello, what is your reciever/processor ? It seems verry strange that it does not have any delay or distance setting because it is a verry basic and essential fonction for sepakers integration.

For your subs I do not think that you will notice a 1 ms delay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.