Good Bye and Good Luck! - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 62 Old 11-20-15, 02:06 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System
Re: Good Bye and Good Luck!

Sorry to see you go Steve, but I certainly understand why.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 Old 11-20-15, 11:01 PM
HTS Reviewer

Thanks for your invaluable contributions to the HTS community Steve! You will certainly be missed here. I hope to keep in touch one way or another. I wish you success in future endeavors!
post #23 of 62 Old 11-21-15, 09:20 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Sorry to see you leave, Steve. I really hope that this is not the beginning of mass exodus. I do believe that the site was much better before Sonnie sold it, and I hope it can once again be like it was before. I hope you stick around as a member as you are a great asset to the site, and a wonderful person to chat with.
Steve is the beginning of the exodus I'm afraid. Those of us who constitute the remaining staff are all considering other options.

Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
This is both sad and troubling news. While still a good site it's obvious that traffic is down. Hearing Leonard voice concerns is also a definite red flag to me of things going on behind the scenes. I'd love to hear the moderators opinions as to what has caused this and their ideas of what's needed to improve things. Sonnie's daily presence is definitely missed as well as Joe's (ALMFam) Jack (JungleJack) and others. Anybody know where they went?
"the devil that you know is probably better than the devil you don't know" is something I've heard more than once in my life. It essentially means 'the grass is not always greener on the other side', and in this case that proved to be prescience.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #24 of 62 Old 11-22-15, 01:14 AM
Senior Shackster

Donnie

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to hyghwayman

Steve you will truly be missed by all of us here at HTS and I agree this place just ain't been the same since Sonny moved on as well as the others after him.

Best wishes in the future,
Hyghwayman
post #25 of 62 Old 11-22-15, 10:39 AM
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System

I am not sure whats going on behind the scenes ...but its interesting to see what happens when a company is sold to a larger conglomerate. A lot of the economy seems to be moving into a more aggressive version of this. It has been going on a long time but there is an explosion of MBA's graduating at for profit and non profit colleges. These MBA's are being hired to squeeze profits to satisfy the 90 day quarter. Public companies are now run on a 90 day vision to satisfy wall street. The shortsightedness of profits over everything else is very discouraging. I have no idea what is going on at HTS but you can see over at AVS the improvements being made. They have totally upgraded the website, Love him or hate him Scott W is reporting from major events and has a podcast. The articles are showcasing new technologies from first hand experience. AVS has a new more mainstream look to handle tablets better for one thing. I wonder why that has not happened here ? Is the parent company of HTS investing in this website ? I don't see it and I guess that as more of the senior people leave so will the soul of HTS. I am not an expert on the 'economies' of websites such as AVS or HTS however there must be leadership from the owners for anything to be successful. However I have no idea what the vision 'vertical scope' has for its products. Read about VS here: http://www.verticalscope.com/
post #26 of 62 Old 11-22-15, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

HTS and AVS are owned by the same company. One site gets attention and the other does not. One site used to average a million plus hits a day and now is down to 10,000 and the company says "all is well". One site used to average 100+ new users a day and now is down to an average of maybe 5 a day and the company says "all is well".

The company is Vertical Scope and they are a cancer that is spreading among forums everywhere. Can you guess which site is neglected?
post #27 of 62 Old 11-22-15, 04:06 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

The picture that Steve paints is in many ways accurate, but some of the numbers are not quite that extreme. Compared to a year ago, we have roughly half as many visits by users and half as many new threads. All of the numbers made a startling drop after April of this year and continue to get worse.

The biggest and most startling statistic to me is the drop in registrations of new members. As you can see below, it is a small fraction of what it was. The most concerning for the business of the forum is the flight of sponsors, a quarter of what we once had. We are in discussion with Vertical Scope and have made some suggestions about what might be done to revitalize the forum. We'll see what kind of response we get. To date, none of the concerns seem to have been taken seriously.

The loss of several of our most knowledgeable and active staff is also a serious concern. When guys like Steve become disollusioned and leave, there are some serious leadership problems. The rest of us are making an honest effort to work with Vertical Scope to get some growth an interest back, but frankly, based on the responses to date, I am not optimistic.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #28 of 62 Old 11-22-15, 04:08 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Ooops...forgot the attachment with the registration statistics.
Attached Thumbnails
Good Bye and Good Luck!-registrations.png  

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #29 of 62 Old 11-22-15, 04:18 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
fschris wrote: View Post
I am not sure whats going on behind the scenes ...but its interesting to see what happens when a company is sold to a larger conglomerate.
"interesting" is not the word I would use, and I imagine the rest of the remaining staff would choose something else too.

Bottom line is it's terribly unfortunate what hasn't happened here at HTS, especially when you consider what has happened with AVS; investment and active management. As you noted AVS has benefited from a very obvious investment in not only the site itself but the people working there. HTS has not gotten either. There's a ton more to the story, but I won't go into it here. Bottom line is HTS is on life support, propped up by the staff we have left. Something needs to change soon or the site will no longer exist. Shame too because it is a unique place.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #30 of 62 Old 11-22-15, 05:10 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

If the current owners don't come through with some real action than get things going, the current staff won't be able to do much.