Good Bye and Good Luck! - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 62 Old 11-25-15, 08:47 AM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
gtpsuper24 wrote: View Post
AVS is not that bad. Some stuff that manufacturers try to get away with doesn't fly on AVS. Here it seems things have to be polite and nice or posts get edited by moderators or deleted all together. Seems no negatives about products are allowed on HTS, no discussion of cutting corners on Xovers or cabinets or price to performance ratio. Reason AVS is doing so much better than HTS is much more freedom in the discussions. Any negative opinions about a product say a company skipping out on cabinet bracing or odd ball driver layouts or trying to pass off cheap Chinese products off as their own brand, is label as being rude and severely edited by the moderators here so not to offend anyone. Just my view on things.
HTS was doing just fine when Sonnie owned it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 62 Old 11-25-15, 09:17 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System
Re: Good Bye and Good Luck!

Yes indeed, Sonnie even kept me in check and I do miss that. If allowed I will follow wherever y'all go. It really is wonderful here, ideas are exchanged and fellowship is strong here. That is not easy to find elsewhere and it would be sorely missed if this site continues to degrade. I hope there is a fix in the works.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #43 of 62 Old 11-25-15, 09:44 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
AVS is not that bad. Some stuff that manufacturers try to get away with doesn't fly on AVS. Here it seems things have to be polite and nice or posts get edited by moderators or deleted all together.

Seems no negatives about products are allowed on HTS, no discussion of cutting corners on Xovers or cabinets or price to performance ratio.

Reason AVS is doing so much better than HTS is much more freedom in the discussions. Any negative opinions about a product say a company skipping out on cabinet bracing or odd ball driver layouts or trying to pass off cheap Chinese products off as their own brand, is label as being rude and severely edited by the moderators here so not to offend anyone.

Just my view on things.
To be honest, the language rules are a bit more restrictive than I feel are necessary. Some leeway in that regard is probably warranted. But as far as redacted posts or not being able to say what you want? That I don't see I'm afraid. How something is said can run afoul of the rules, but what's being said causing moderator intervention is up for debate. I'm a perfect example of that.

Far and away the most viewed and accessed posts are the ones that get featured on the homepage. That means reviews, articles, show coverage, etc. It stands to reason if anything is going to be filtered it would be the posts which get the most eyes. My sole condition before agreeing to do exclusive reviews for HTS was that no one could tell me what I wrote; I would say what I wanted to and how I wanted to (within the language rules, of course). Sonnie had no problem with that, and I can honestly state that even after publishing a few dozen reviews here I have never been asked to change a single word on anything I've posted. That includes having some less than flattering comments about a 5.1 system HTS was giving away in a contest, yet not a peep from anybody about changing my assessment or wording. I'd almost bet my right arm that the other writers would tell you the same thing.

I suspect what makes the difference between AVS and HTS so obvious is the stark difference in how they're run; one is very loose while the other is a little too tight, so they are diametrically opposed from that standpoint. In the end it's all about personal choice though, so mine is nothing more than an opinion as well. The sad part is the ability for people to have that choice is probably drawing to a close.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #44 of 62 Old 11-25-15, 11:00 AM
Banned!
Chad

My System

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
To be honest, the language rules are a bit more restrictive than I feel are necessary. Some leeway in that regard is probably warranted. But as far as redacted posts or not being able to say what you want? That I don't see I'm afraid. How something is said can run afoul of the rules, but what's being said causing moderator intervention is up for debate. I'm a perfect example of that.
Your articles are great and I usually make sure I read them in full. The rules here I think are so restrictive that I think most just don't even bother with the site. Which is why the traffic is so low. Its never been as strong as AVS. I've had my posts edited and reposted as to not offend owners of certain brands. So they edited my post to reflect what they want. Some want to see bother sides of the story and not be painted a strict rosey picture of a product.

I say get read of the forums and have it be a Review site like Soundstage or Audioholics.

Even when Sonnie owned it, it still never generated the strong viewer ship of AVS and the Prize giveaways reflect that.
post #45 of 62 Old 11-25-15, 11:07 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:

I say get read of the forums and have it be a Review site like Soundstage or Audioholics.
No way, the form is what make the HTS what it is.

Quote:
Even when Sonnie owned it, it still never generated the strong viewer ship of AVS and the Prize giveaways reflect that.
I dont agree, the contests had good strong rules in order to qualify and that made it hard for those who just posted a bunch of fluff and then never come back. The point of the giveaways was to reward members who made a difference here.
Traffic flow here was good for a long time (Ive been a member almost since it stared) its only the last year where its gotten slower and really bad over the last couple months.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #46 of 62 Old 11-25-15, 11:28 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
The rules here I think are so restrictive that I think most just don't even bother with the site. Which is why the traffic is so low. Its never been as strong as AVS.
Some have indeed been turned off by the 'iron fist' (as it were) that prevails at HTS. The converse is true of AVS though; some have been turned off by the free-for-all mentality of that site. Either way, it's hard to dispute the fact AVS is a very active place. From a revenue generation standpoint it would be difficult to ignore that. There was a good stream of revenue here as well.

Quote:
AVS is quite possibly the largest of the HT-based sites, and that may even be from a global standpoint. But HTS definitely had it's place, and a very loyal fan base as well. While not as large as AVS it was still relevant. It's akin to Toyota in the fullsize truck market; small compared to the likes of Ford, but certainly viable and solid enough to stand on its own. Until it was sold unfortunately, then the bottom fell out. It was as though someone flipped a light switch and the room instantly went dark - it was pretty much that sudden.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #47 of 62 Old 11-25-15, 12:47 PM
Banned!
Chad

My System

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
Some have indeed been turned off by the 'iron fist' (as it were) that prevails at HTS. The converse is true of AVS though; some have been turned off by the free-for-all mentality of that site. Either way, it's hard to dispute the fact AVS is a very active place. From a revenue generation standpoint it would be difficult to ignore that. There was a good stream of revenue here as well.
Some that are turned off by that environment are the ones who have bought into what a company sells them. And some of the members over there call companies out on some of their sales tactics. Well said people who are turned off by a "free for all mentality" usually bring up the personal attacks because they don't like the "bashing" that their favorite brand receives. Usually just about every brand has been in the crosshairs although some more than others.

Like there can be no discussion on why its bad a center uses a odd tweeter layout. It will get edited here so not to offend any posters that own that product. AVS its free to call it out as a bad design with measurements and actual facts. Those that own that product then feel AVS is a horrid place full of hateful people.

Brand A is say $2500 for a tower that uses basic vinyl finish and very little cabinet bracing and basic cheap part xover design. While Brand B uses High gloss finishes as standard, heavy solid cabinets and high quality xover parts and it sells for $1700 a pair. AVS that stuff gets called out on and no recommended. Here you need to tip toe around as to no offend anyone or have you thread entirely edited with a stern PM stating the rules and receiving a warning.

These are a few reasons many have said good bye to HTS and one day it will be a broken link.
post #48 of 62 Old 11-25-15, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Traffic flow here was good for a long time (Ive been a member almost since it stared) its only the last year where its gotten slower and really bad over the last couple months.
Exactly. We were slowly creeping up on AVS traffic count-wise. For instance, there were always more people viewing certain forums here than at AVS - projection screens always had double or more viewing than AVS. If we still had a responsible owner, we'd be even closer today instead of dropping off the map.
post #49 of 62 Old 11-25-15, 04:37 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System
I have never been sanctioned at any forum I have participated in... except for AVS.

I have had posts deleted simply for supporting a manufacturer that was on the bad side of their administration. They had (have) a personal vendetta against that company and I got caught in the cross fire. PMs are read by admin there, I've had a few of those deleted. Read my last post there for more info, provided that thread did not disappear completely, like many before it have. I have not posted there since, because of the heavy bias and invasion of privacy AVS has levied against myself and quite a few others.

Saying that one has freedom of speech at AVS is untrue. Saying they do not play favorites with manufacturers is untrue.

Conversely, anyone that has a problem with HTS moderation might want to look at how they have worded their posts. If you are abrasive, yes, we will take the edges off. If you want your message to get though, adjust your posting style. You can say almost anything you like here if you use tact.

There is a big difference between posting information with tact and posting attacks with little regard to forum rules.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #50 of 62 Old 11-25-15, 06:52 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
AVS is not that bad. Some stuff that manufacturers try to get away with doesn't fly on AVS. Here it seems things have to be polite and nice or posts get edited by moderators or deleted all together.

Seems no negatives about products are allowed on HTS, no discussion of cutting corners on Xovers or cabinets or price to performance ratio.

Reason AVS is doing so much better than HTS is much more freedom in the discussions. Any negative opinions about a product say a company skipping out on cabinet bracing or odd ball driver layouts or trying to pass off cheap Chinese products off as their own brand, is label as being rude and severely edited by the moderators here so not to offend anyone.

Just my view on things.
There is complete freedom of discussion here with respect to what ideas people can express. Where we set limits is on HOW people express those ideas. We hold a higher bar where everyone's ideas are welcome AS LONG AS THE IDEAS ARE EXPRESSED WITH RESPECT FOR OTHERS and without profanity. Many times, other forums have censored IDEAS because they are inconsistent with the moderators or the current thoughts of the trend in the forum. We actually protect the ability to hold ideas that differ from the trend. So the notion of wide open posting may work for other forums, and may even mean more volume, but it is not why we are here. It is actually the reason that many of us left other forums and found a home here.

If one does not appreciate that, and expects that we should be like every other forum, I would ask why are you here. There are lots of places where you can get that.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.